Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Streamlining the morning routine, any advice?

Posted by   + Show Post

My mornings are complete mayhem! No matter how much I plan ahead to get out the door, something goes awry and I end up frustrated, late and ready to lose my mind! I pick out the kids clothes the night before, make lunches, bathtime always at night...when I get up I get them ready first thing, turn on a show they like, put dog out, get ready and then shoes and coats and bags...one kid has to go pee as we are heading out the door...or, forgot to put trash in basement stairwell so puppy does not strew it all around...so any of these happen and then we are behind! I have been talked to a few times at work for being 2-3 mins late pretty regularly.

Would love some ideas from any Moms who get up and out the door everyday in a somewhat orderly, on schedule way! Thanks

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM
I had a routine but it changed Monday and I'm having trouble getting into a new one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I know sleep is hard to come by, but if you guys can head to bed an hour earlier in the evenings, yourself included, and then wake up a half hour to an hour earlier.  If you do then you might feel less stressed and may be able to leave the house earlier so if something happens before leaving or while you're on your way to the kids' school you'll be able to deal with it and not miss out on work.

jenmatt451
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm supposed to be at the office at 7am; but I always TRY to get there by 6:30am and go about my mornings as if I will be written up or fired if I'm not there by 6:30...then if I am a few minutes late, I'm actually still early and I can sit down and relax with my coffee for a few minutes before I actually have to do any work!  LOL

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I bet nixing the TV will take care of the extra 10 minutes you need.

Carloe09
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I agree with the others that have said to wake up earlier and to plan like you have to be at work earlier. DD goes to school, and although I do not work, I do volunteer at her school. School doesn't start until 8:00 for her, but we leave the house at 7:30 to make the 10 minute drive. 95% of the time we leave by 7:30, but we have a bit of a cushion if something pops up and we leave 5 or 10 minutes "late." Like today - DD was grumpy and lagged behind. We didn't leave until 7:45, but we still made it on time.

Also, we only *need* an hour to get ready, but early on, I learned DD liked to snuggle when she wakes up. So we wake up at 6:15 instead of 6:30. An extra 15-20 minutes in the morning makes a huge difference and wouldn't make bedtime that much different either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I agree with cutting out the TV and getting yourself ready first.

I've found that I don't actually have to do everything the night before, if I can get to bed early enough to get myself completely ready before my kids. My 5yo can do everything herself and does better if she's mostly left alone to do it.

I bring my 3yo downstairs and make breakfast while she gets dressed. I make lunch while they eat breakfast. I very often can even join them at the table because they eat much slower.

We had tons of problems when school first started (an hour earlier than last year) so I made my kids "practice" the routine in the afternoon a bunch of times (as punishment for a bad morning). Things are much better though when I'm ready to go and can be calm, like many said.

Claire Wait

TheUnderToad.com: fabulously witty, unabashed and shameless life commentary.

workoutmom2b1g
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM

No tv.

teri4lance
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

get up earlier.

ShaunnaMichelle
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:24 AM
I would just keep the television off until every necessary thing has been completed, including brushing teeth or going potty. Our boys can watch it in the morning before school, but only if everything else is done.
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:57 AM
Great advice! :)

Quoting Crisd77:

I have my son's clothes for the week stored in those weekly closet cubby holes thingy and have it prepared no later than Sunday night. I feed him and send my 5 year old upstairs to brush his teeth, pee, wash his face & hands and get himself dressed. He doesn't diddle daddle much because he knows if he does it all correctly he can play & watch his shows. His shower is done every night.

I would add for you to turn the clocks forward by 10 minutes & give yourself a decent deadline to get things done. Yeah, the dog can cause delays, weather & of course the last minute pee...but at least you would have a cushion.

This works for me now but due any minute with baby #2 and I'm expecting chaos for awhile!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN