Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Does a dirty house bother u?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm just trying to figure out why I get so grouchy about it. I've just had our third child. Dh has been great. He's been buying groceries and cooking supper.  when I first got home he told ds, who is 16 to make sure I don't do any work and they tried to clean it before I got home from the hospital.I appreciate that they thought to do that. I was a bit surprised and really happy. yay! just focus on baby and spending time with dh and the kids. Of course I hadn't taken into account that the mess don't bother them. Even the gross things that need to be done. I end up doing the cleaning in between marathon breast feeding sessions (our new little man wants to nurse non stop it seems, the minute I pull him off the breast he wails. i've become his pacifier,lol. so its hard to get much done and my mood gets in the dumps....hormones maybe) Anyway, I love that dh is there helping out so much but man the mess that accumulates. He changes the diapers but leaves them layng in the floor. cooks breakfast but the dishes, food and garbage sits on the counter all day, ds and dd, make there messes all over the house and then when i am finally able to get to cleaning, I'm so grouchy about it because all I want is a shower but instead I'm cleaning up stuff that has accumulated because no one picks up behind themselves. Then I feel bad for being such a grouch over it because dh has been so sweet to me, helping with the baby and what not. he even bought my fav. chocolates and some chai latte coffee to go with it just to do something nice for me. they just simply don't see the nastiness i guess. i have to ask myself why a messy house bothers me so much. i feel so uneasy in it. u can't find what u need and i like to have dishes in the cabinets when i want a drink or something i suppose. not to mention, dirty diapers and yesterdays meals sitting on the counter, garbage cans over full is a bit on the too nasty sidefor me. that goes beyond just clutter. dh is a clutter bug too but i can deal with that...kind of,lol. I'm the opposite. I love my countertops cleared off. would u be bothered by that kind of mess or do i need to take a chill pill and realize i just had a baby, am nursing around the clock an just let the mess go. asking dh to do it seems to make him feel like i don't appreciate what he is already doing. he's on leave from work so its not like he's going to work, then coming home and doing the home stuff. i don't mind cleaning but doing the cleaning in between the breastfeeding while dh still has hours on the comp. has kind of turned into a dissappointment. I really thought I was going to have some house help. Maybe I'm being ungrateful. Hopefully not. I need to figure out why I get so ticked off over darn housework.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Replies (41-49):
ladytee75
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Im a clean freak everything is put up and in its place in my house thats just the type of person I am I love a nice clean house:)

dawny36
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Men do not see the dirt!  I argue with my husband all the time about the messy house, our house isn't very big so it looks cluttered, we have a two yr old so his toys are all over the place.  We have light colored laminate flooring and you can see everything on them and my husband wants to know why i sweep and mop everyday, he just doesn't see it.  He also thinks i dust to much and wipe counters too much, he doesn't see the dirt and it drives me bananas!  I am a little ocd i get it from my mom i cause myself way too much stress worrying over the cleanliness of our house so I feel your pain.

maureen813
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Yes, it bothers me terribly. I was a big slob until marrying a clean freak and having kids, now the house is really the cleanest and best organized in our neighborhood. I can find things and feel more in control, clutter paralyzes my mind.
rebeccasmly
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM
I get cranky when my house is a mess, ask my family, lol. In all seriousness, if my house is not clean, it will affect me to the point I can't sleep. I am planning a cleaning marathon tomorrow since my house is finally guest free and I can clean to my liking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4GEMS
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM
I'll deal with it for a short while but eventually I'll turn into "mama bear"!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM

It drives me nuts. I get antsy and aggitated.  So of course my husband and son are pack rats.

christina259
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting SweetlilM:

As I get older I'm getting more anal about cleaning. In my 20s I didn't care if the house was clean. Now it bothers me a lot! Maybe I've developed OCD? I don't know …

Me too. Dh and I got married young.I was 19. He was 20. When we had no kids we were out partying all the time or working. Our apartment was a train wreck, lol, and it didn't really bother me untill our landlord and maintenance guy had to come in to make an emergency repair. I was embarassed. When we started having kids, I started turning into little miss susie homemaker and I loved it. Got into home interior and what not. Thats when messes started to bother me. That and my little baby boy putting anything on the floor in his mouth. As the years went by I went from not caring at all to just clean enough to where I am now, the neat freak. I want everything in its place and I love to organize things and decorate my house. I get this wierd sense of satisfaction from seeing how  neat i can get it,lol

Traci_Momof2
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM

It bothers me in that, yes, I would prefer to have a nice, neat, clean, organized house but not enough that it motivates me to do something about it.  If I feel like I need "me time" on the couch with a DVD and there are dirty dishes in the sink, then I plop my ass on the couch and the dishes sit there.  Once in a while I get a bug up my ass and do a massive cleaning but then it never lasts long.  Sometimes I think if I had more time I would be better about keeping my house clean but I don't so i don't worry about it.

Traci_Momof2
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Quoting GaleJ:

...and at this point I have no illusions of being able to convert him to a neatnik! DAMN!

LOL!  I have converted my "neatnik" husband into a slob like me.  When we first got married, my DH was the type that he couldn't go to bed at night if everything wasn't clean and in it's proper place.  Whereas I've always been a slob, leaving dirty clothes lay around, leaving dirty dishes in the sink, etc.  Now after 13 years of marriage and 2 kids we are both slobs, going to bed with messes left untouched.  I broke him.  {{snickers}}

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN