Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

DS was bullied today :-(

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • 17 Replies
He's 4 and a little speech delayed. He has some issues with d's and s's. After school, I took him to the park. An older kid came up to him, showing off his new bouncy ball. DS showed him a pine straw he found. He was unable to properly say the "s", and the boy kept correcting him till he finally asked "do you speak english?" Which soon led to a harsher "speak english!" all up in DS's face. I stepped in at that point and DS said to him "I'm a big boy!" and walked away. They were civil after that. Ive always been nervous he'd be picked on for this :-( he is in pre k and gets speech therapy 4 times a week. He has improved so much! Im so proud of him for sticking up for himself. My mama bear instinct was in full force lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Aww, poor lil guy! My neighbors DS is the same with the speech delay. He almost sounds like he's tongue tied, or his tongue is 'lazy', like it doesn't 'move' properly. My neighbor held him back a year (not saying you should, just what she did) and she's afraid he'll get picked on. :( her DS is huge though. Tall and sturdy. :) but he's such a sweet kid, I don't think he'd do anything.

I know how you feel with the momma bear. You were nicer than I would've been though. Kids are so mean. :( there's another lil boy in our neighborhood who has a speech issue. I've never heard any of the neighborhood kids tease them. And I can't understand either of them a lot. I try. I'm glad all the kids have been kind.
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM
awww :-( yes DS is genuinly sweet too. He's never been bullied before!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Aww,that must've been hard to see,good for your son for dealing with it well!

obama._.nation
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I'm so tired of kids bullying others! Just this week, Amanda Todd of British Columbia committed suicide cuz of bullies! When will it all stop? I'm sorry ur lil one IS being picked on. My son is 5, and he has a major speech issue. U can understand just a small amount of words, but not a lot. Ppl look at him if he's retarded. He isn't at all. Just bad speech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Sorry
Des10ed2b
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:34 PM

i go through the same thing with my son. it breaks my heart. he is 4 also and speaks a language all of his own. it breaks my heart to see him trying so so so hardd and people just cant understand. 

MommyAJ2921
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

This gives me hope..my oldest son is 3 with a developmental delay...he's not talking at all yet..just babble..and da da ALOT...a teenager called him retarded once and I tell you...it took my mom, sister AND my sister in law to keep me from puttin my hands on that boy...did I mention I was 6 months pregnant with his younger brother at the time? His mom came over and found out what happened and ripped him a new one. Good for you for standing up for him! Grr..do NOT mess with the babies! 

sheri305
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Quoting Lindalou907:

Aww,that must've been hard to see,good for your son for dealing with it well!

back40mama
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM

For some reason my 3 oldest have had a speech problem. Not sure why but my 7 yr. old and 4 yr. old have had/have speech help. Neither have been bullied or teased but my 4 yr.just started Headstart. We'll see.

MELRN
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM

i think it depends though on the age of the other child being mean to him....  my dd is 8 and she has enough manners to say "what did you say?  or I can't understand you?"  but ds is 6 and he just started 'getting'  the difference in the delivery but will sometimes still say something way wrong and hurtful  he's been slower to develop empathy  then my DD but it is starting ..... bullying  is when a 5ht grader goes up to a first grader and screams "you f(*^ cunt!"  that's bullying  but at very youg=ng age pointing out differences is how we learn...my son just asked someone at the park yesterday "why is your skin brown?"  the mom came running to me about my racist 6 year old..and I leveled her  for being so stupid .. its a legitimate question when you're 6...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)