Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How many of you do not Facebook?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not a Face book user. Anymore that is. Are there any of you that do not use and why.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
LaughingTattoo
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Were both on Facebook.....my dh used to not have one but I made him sign up

SHORTSHORT
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Quoting nodramamama311:

Facebook is what you make it. If you are immature or have immature friends on there then that's what it will be for you. I love Facebook. I do not live near any family or friends, and yes I do call them regularly, and with Facebook I get to see pictures and videos of all my loved ones all the time. And sure there are people who like to cause problems, but you know what, I've deleted them or hid them from my page and problem solved.
If some social media network causes issues between you and your spouse then you guys had problems already. I really can't stand it when people blame Facebook or texting for their relationship problems, that, to me, shows immaturity. Just my 2 cents.

Quoting back40mama:

That's the exact reason my Husband and I don't use it as well. I find too that their is so much imaturity on it and talk about the trash. Great to see we aren't alone!

exactly 311

Knightquester
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I did try it for a year at the insistence of family and friends.

What I found was there were too many people I cared about being sucked into Facebook.  Many of them couldn't go hours w/o checking Facebook, poking or liking something.  I found that type of socializing was very impersonal and not something for me.

I still keep in contact with those near and dear to me, many of whom live in other states.  I do so through phone calls, sending e-mails or letters personalized for them or saving up the money to go and visit them in person.

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I am not on it. It just seems like more unnecessary obligation to me. Sometimes I'm tempted to find people I've lost contact with, but I just think of friend requests,pokes, stupid quotes....

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Quoting ChancesMommy07:

My husband and I have been on Facebook since it was just for college students. I've always thought the argument that it causes problems in relationships is ridiculous. If social networking sites cause problems in your relationship it wasn't that strong to begin with.

This. The only time I get annoyed is with one friend who posted like 20 times a day, and she and her life, family, and hubby are 'perfect'. When she got preggo with their 3rd by deceit, I saw the true side of how he really feels about her. Oy! The preggo part was before I got on fb. :) I mostly got on fb to talk to all my family. I'm 1800 miles from most, more from others. :) my mom has 6 siblings, and they all have 2-4 kids, all are adults now, and most are married with kids. So, I have a lot of family. :) my neighborhood has a fb page, scouts does, all my friends post events on fb.

I ignore the drama, and fb is fine for me. :)

But, I fully respect all who choose not to be on fb. :) we all make choices for ourselves. :)
Diamondblue1
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:05 AM
I don't use facebook either i just don't like it and really don't have people i want to get in contact with. Hubby has one i look at pics on there but i don't need one for myself plus i like this site and other social sites that fit my lifestyle with me being pregnant and i can justtalk to other people in thesame boat as i am. Plus Everybody mostly have a facebook. I wanted to be different and do my own thing :)
tbarnes895
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad there are others out there that never saw the reason to join in the first place.  I couldn't help but notice that a lot of people seemed to reply that our relationship isn't strong enough if FB could cause problems in it however I think our relationship is even stronger because we spend time with each other and the ones we love and keep our relationship and our lives to ourselves.

Quoting G2Mama:

I agree totally.  I don't remember the percentage but fb has played a huge role in divorce.  My dh and I don't do it for the exact reason you stated, we keep in contact with the people we want to.  We use shutterfly to share pictures with family members and friends.  

Quoting tbarnes895:

I've never used it and neither has my SO we think they can cause too many problems between couples and to be honest I keep in touch with all the people I care to personally.

DesireMM
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I have a Facebook account. But it is only for family. This way they can see pictures of the kids and keep in touch since we live away from all of our family.

ChancesMommy07
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Well yea because if you have a facebook account you definitely aren't spending time with your spouse or family. Please, my grandma has a facebook and she's still happily married to the same man of 55 years. If your spouse is going to cheat they are going to do it regardless of whether or not they have the Internet. Saying that facebook caused the problem is a bullshit excuse to make it seem like anyone but the cheating spouse is to blame. So if your relationship can't stand up to a social networking site then yes you definitely had problems to begin with.

Quoting tbarnes895:

I'm glad there are others out there that never saw the reason to join in the first place.  I couldn't help but notice that a lot of people seemed to reply that our relationship isn't strong enough if FB could cause problems in it however I think our relationship is even stronger because we spend time with each other and the ones we love and keep our relationship and our lives to ourselves.

Quoting G2Mama:

I agree totally.  I don't remember the percentage but fb has played a huge role in divorce.  My dh and I don't do it for the exact reason you stated, we keep in contact with the people we want to.  We use shutterfly to share pictures with family members and friends.  

Quoting tbarnes895:

I've never used it and neither has my SO we think they can cause too many problems between couples and to be honest I keep in touch with all the people I care to personally.

tbarnes895
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Relationships are all full of ups and downs because life is always throwing different things your way.  Its the ability to get through them that makes a relationship strong enough to last the ages.  I never said that facebook was bad for relationships but it was something my SO and I agreed not to participate in and that was the choice we thought was best for our relationship in the beginning and we've stuck to that agreement for 4 years now and it works for us.  Do I think that facebook causes problems for some relationships? yes.  Do I think those relationships were perfect prior to facebook?maybe, then again maybe not its not for me to say.  Do I think my relationship is without problems? absolutely not and we deal with them as they come as a team, as a couple.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Well yea because if you have a facebook account you definitely aren't spending time with your spouse or family. Please, my grandma has a facebook and she's still happily married to the same man of 55 years. If your spouse is going to cheat they are going to do it regardless of whether or not they have the Internet. Saying that facebook caused the problem is a bullshit excuse to make it seem like anyone but the cheating spouse is to blame. So if your relationship can't stand up to a social networking site then yes you definitely had problems to begin with.

Quoting tbarnes895:

Quoting G2Mama:

Quoting tbarnes895:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN