Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How do you prepare a kindergartener for surgery?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
  • 5 Replies
My son is having surgery tomorrow to repair a broken Arm I need some help to get him mentally prepared.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MumsTheWord571
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:11 PM
I'd probably be honest with him to his maturity level.

If he will be asleep- tell him the doctors will give him a shot to make him go to sleep. Then they will fix his arm and when they're done it will be able to get all better. That I am NOT leaving the hospital while he's with the doctor and will by his side as soon as he wakes up. Then I'd likely buy him a special "big boy" gift for after the surgery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thecoffeefairy
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM
That's great advice

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

I'd probably be honest with him to his maturity level.

If he will be asleep- tell him the doctors will give him a shot to make him go to sleep. Then they will fix his arm and when they're done it will be able to get all better. That I am NOT leaving the hospital while he's with the doctor and will by his side as soon as he wakes up. Then I'd likely buy him a special "big boy" gift for after the surgery.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smtxcowgirl
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Tell him exactly what's going to happen. Google "How to prepare your child for surgery". Let him know you're not leaving but you're not allowed to be in the operating room or the recovery room, you'll be right down the hall in the waiting room but as soon as they let you see him, you'll be in there. Tell him he'll be groggy when he wakes up, and it may be hard for him to move for a little bit, but everything will work again. Make sure you explain the IV and yes it will hurt but only for a second and it's to help him during the surgery. Tell him they'll put him to sleep with a special mask and he won't feel anything during the surgery.

I hope this helps and I pray the surgery is safe and successful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Phenegran (sp?) or half a valium should mentally prepare him. Nothing you can say will make getting put to sleep and cut open less scary. A medicine to relax him and make him not care is the only thing you can really do that will help. I would call and ask the peds for something to calm him down for tonight.

sunflowers12
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM

had to take my at the time my three year old for dental surgery, and i just woke him up and took him and they sedated him, then took him in did his teeth and then brought him back out it took about 30 give or take they let us stay in recovery for about 20 minutes then kicks us out the door... really not much you can do just tell them their sick/need some thing fixed, and that they will not feel it they will go to sleep and be comfy cozy and when they get out you will be there waiting for them to wake up with some 7 up or something that normally gets them jazzed:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)