Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Appropriate Age to Start Dating

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM
  • 55 Replies

Yesterday my 12-year old daughter came home upset.  It turns out her crush started dating another girl.  I still think she's a bit too young to date.  At what age do you think it's appropriate for a young lady to date?

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleangie
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't want to even think about it.  If I had the choice, it would be never!!!!!!

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

in love

Bump

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Ironic... I was just talking to somebody about this today.  I would have to say at the minimum age 16, or at least that's what we'll be doing with our children.

My eldest is also 12 and although she's had a boy interested in her she also has stated she's not into things like dating, or like-liking a boy, or kissing or even holding hands.  We've had "the talk" and we've also talked about maturity and what comes with it, about putting yourself in situations where things can happen and how not to.  We've also talked about when she would be ready for things that are for older people and at what rate she should move when she starts getting into those things.  I think for my daughter she's modest and at this point talks to me about everything, so for her I hope she keeps with the mentality that growing up fast isn't always the best idea.

Dabberdoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, mine won't be a popular opinion but I think a person is ready for dating when they are old enough to be ready for marriage.

deccaf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I think 15 or 16. And I will be meeting the boy and his parents first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carakitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I think a lot of it depends on the maturity of the child. We still have a few years to go yet, with our DD (she's 8). As for what my parents decided for me, I was able to go on group dates with a parent or my big brother chaperoning starting when I was 13. I only had that happen a few times though. We went to amusement parks, or to the lake. I also went to the community club house dances which were held a couple times a month. Those had very little adult supervision from what I remember.

When I was 14 I met a boy who was a couple years older than me. He was responsible, and the friend of one of my friends. I was allowed to start going out on solo dates with him after we'd gone on a few parent chapperoned dates first.

I think we will probably take a similar course of action with our daughter. Heavily chaperoned dates when she's in Jr. High, then let her go out on her own when she enters High School. This is assuming, of course, that she stays out of trouble and shows that she can handle sticky situations responsibly.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I don't think there is a set age for our daughter. I think it will depend on maturity....and also what they mean by dating. 

If my 12 year old wants to talk to a guy on the phone...well ok. If my 12 year old wants to be dropped off to a movie alone with a boy, no, that won't happen. 

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't see any reason for our kids to date until they are looking for a spouse. We do not believe in "casual dating".
missy-mae
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM
So when did u begin? We're u "courted" and what did that look like?

Quoting Dabberdoo:

Well, mine won't be a popular opinion but I think a person is ready for dating when they are old enough to be ready for marriage.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN