Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What's the difference, if there is one?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
  • 53 Replies

I wanted to ask your opinions on this. I had a thought today while waiting in the bank. 

I always hear people talking about how horrible it is that children today need some sort of electronic to entertain themselves. IF this doesn't apply to your kids, great. I'd still like your opinions. 

My question is this. How is it different when an adult brings a book or magazine, or even knitting along with them when they have a long wait? Why is it ok for us to entertain ourselves but not them?

Also, would you rather that kid have an electronic device that keeps them quiet or would you prefer they run around and have their parents keep fussing? I say this because to me it's always one or the other. 

What do you all think?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ticklesurpickle
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I say, "whatever tickles your pickle." My girls entertain themselves with whatever is available at the time, be that a book, toy or Ipad. 

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree.  I read on my phone.  It's still an electronic device.  I'd rather a quiet, polite kid than one bouncing off the wall.  If a game accomplishes that, great.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MJNMADDYSMOMMY
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM
There's no difference, I always have a small coloring book & crayons in my car for my 5yr old but sometimes she brings her game system so she's versitile. I ised to bring a book in my purse for myself but now I always have my smart phone to entertain me.lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Quoting MJNMADDYSMOMMY:

There's no difference, I always have a small coloring book & crayons in my car for my 5yr old but sometimes she brings her game system so she's versitile. I ised to bring a book in my purse for myself but now I always have my smart phone to entertain me.lol

Yeah, same here. I always have my nook color but even before that I always had a book. It just makes me wonder for those that have issues with kids that have electronic devices. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Quoting ticklesurpickle:

I say, "whatever tickles your pickle." My girls entertain themselves with whatever is available at the time, be that a book, toy or Ipad. 

So do mine. I was just wondering about the opinons of those who disagree with it. I mean, not all books are educational so if someone has a problem with an ipod/ipad/handheld game, would they have the same issue if the child were reading a book?

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I don't see a difference.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

I have to agree.  I read on my phone.  It's still an electronic device.  I'd rather a quiet, polite kid than one bouncing off the wall.  If a game accomplishes that, great.  

I feel the same. I always have my nook, and before that I had a book. I just hear people make comments in general about kids not being able to entertain themselves without electronics. I was just wanting to know what the difference was between books and games. 

Apparently I asked the wrong group because everyone agrees with me...lol. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

I don't see a difference.

Neither do I. But people in general seem to have issues with games so I just wanted different opinions. 

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting jillbailey26:

I feel the same. I always have my nook, and before that I had a book. I just hear people make comments in general about kids not being able to entertain themselves without electronics. I was just wanting to know what the difference was between books and games. 

Apparently I asked the wrong group because everyone agrees with me...lol. 

The Newcomers group should get a good response, lol.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Quoting ticklesurpickle:

Mine is the same but a boy who is either coloring, reading, playing with his blocks or Angry Bird game.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)