Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What's the difference, if there is one?

I wanted to ask your opinions on this. I had a thought today while waiting in the bank. 

I always hear people talking about how horrible it is that children today need some sort of electronic to entertain themselves. IF this doesn't apply to your kids, great. I'd still like your opinions. 

My question is this. How is it different when an adult brings a book or magazine, or even knitting along with them when they have a long wait? Why is it ok for us to entertain ourselves but not them?

Also, would you rather that kid have an electronic device that keeps them quiet or would you prefer they run around and have their parents keep fussing? I say this because to me it's always one or the other. 

What do you all think?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Knightquester
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Kids running around in some situations and places that is inappropriate is just poor parenting.  Does this mean that parents should plug their kid into an electronic device or give them a book, no, but they should watch their kids, teach them how to stand in a line or sit still patiently and be quietly.  For many to accomplish this means bringing something that will distract the child like a book, toy, or in this day and age an electronic device.

For my children I let them know if we're going someplace that will require us to sit and wait for a lengthy time, like the DMV.  I suggest that they bring a book, magazine or DS with them; if they choose not to then they still have to sit there bored and quiet.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting jillbailey26:

I have to agree.  I read on my phone.  It's still an electronic device.  I'd rather a quiet, polite kid than one bouncing off the wall.  If a game accomplishes that, great.  

I feel the same. I always have my nook, and before that I had a book. I just hear people make comments in general about kids not being able to entertain themselves without electronics. I was just wanting to know what the difference was between books and games. 

Apparently I asked the wrong group because everyone agrees with me...lol. 

The Newcomers group should get a good response, lol.

Yeah, either there or in Confessions. But I'm still new to posting (not replying, but making actual posts) and I'm not sure I'm up to that challenge.wink

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Quoting Knightquester:

Kids running around in some situations and places that is inappropriate is just poor parenting.  Does this mean that parents should plug their kid into an electronic device or give them a book, no, but they should watch their kids, teach them how to stand in a line or sit still patiently and be quietly.  For many to accomplish this means bringing something that will distract the child like a book, toy, or in this day and age an electronic device.

For my children I let them know if we're going someplace that will require us to sit and wait for a lengthy time, like the DMV.  I suggest that they bring a book, magazine or DS with them; if they choose not to then they still have to sit there bored and quiet.

I agree that kids running around is poor parenting, but I think I would rather them be plugged in than running around or cutting up. 

And I'm a bit confused by your response. In red you say you don't think parents should plug their children in to keep them quiet. In blue you say that you also ask that your children bring something to do. 

So I guess my question to you is this. Why should children be expected to sit quietly and do nothing when they have things to occupy themselves? I mean, look around many places. Most adults either A.) Have phones or some other electronic device, B.) have a book or something else to entertain them, or C.) a whole other person to talk to. 

So why should our kids not have those same luxuries in a situation where they will be bored? If I took anything you said wrong, I'm sorry. I don't want this to be a debate really, I'm just looking for different opinions. 

Knightquester
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

No, not sure if I made sense.  I was distracted when I was typing.  I mean that parents shouldn't feel obligated or feel the need to plug their kids in, but if that's the incentive to keep them well behaved or what works for them then they should.  I'm personally a hyper person, so I always bring my book along with me and can sympathize with the energy children have, but I have no sympathy for poor parenting.

If the parent doesn't have anything to "plug their kid into" then they still need to ensure their child is well behaved.  I have went places and been trapped there waiting longer than intended with my kids and nothing for them to do... regardless they knew there would be severe repercussions if they stepped out of line and misbehaved.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting Knightquester:

I agree that kids running around is poor parenting, but I think I would rather them be plugged in than running around or cutting up. 

And I'm a bit confused by your response. In red you say you don't think parents should plug their children in to keep them quiet. In blue you say that you also ask that your children bring something to do. 

So I guess my question to you is this. Why should children be expected to sit quietly and do nothing when they have things to occupy themselves? I mean, look around many places. Most adults either A.) Have phones or some other electronic device, B.) have a book or something else to entertain them, or C.) a whole other person to talk to. 

So why should our kids not have those same luxuries in a situation where they will be bored? If I took anything you said wrong, I'm sorry. I don't want this to be a debate really, I'm just looking for different opinions. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I see, I get it now. Yeah, I feel the same. I mean, our kids SHOULD be able to sit there quietly, but I guess my point is that most adults don't just sit there doing nothing so why do people expect our kids to do the same?

And those that don't have anything absolutely should be required to entertain their own children. I hate when I'm in the doctor's office (or anywhere, really) and my kids are playing quietly or reading and some parent lets their kids try to get in my kids face to see what they are reading or playing. I don't mind my kids sharing but other kids usually don't care for things the way my kids do. And usually it's those parents that are busy talking on the phone or talking to someone else. That kills me.

Quoting Knightquester:

No, not sure if I made sense.  I was distracted when I was typing.  I mean that parents shouldn't feel obligated or feel the need to plug their kids in, but if that's the incentive to keep them well behaved or what works for them then they should.  I'm personally a hyper person, so I always bring my book along with me and can sympathize with the energy children have, but I have no sympathy for poor parenting.

If the parent doesn't have anything to "plug their kid into" then they still need to ensure their child is well behaved.  I have went places and been trapped there waiting longer than intended with my kids and nothing for them to do... regardless they knew there would be severe repercussions if they stepped out of line and misbehaved.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting Knightquester:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM
My kids don't have electronic devices to take places. Usually I take a boxcar children book to read to them. Ds often takes his schoolwork.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carakitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I think the big deal is when kids spend way too much time on their butts with their eyes glued to one screen or another. I think some kids have not learned that the world does not revolve around the TV, computer, video games and portable electronic devices. That is the problem, in my opinion.

I am thankful that although my daughter loves her screen time she will also be just as happy to go out and play softball, run around at the park, or make art. She does throw a fit sometimes when I tell her 'enough with the screen time' but she gets over it and starts having fun with something else.

If the kid is using a device for entertainment while waiting for something away from home I think that's OK. I think reading or knitting or gaming on a device is fine.

I would much rather have a kid be quiet while waiting around for something.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Quoting carakitty:

I think the big deal is when kids spend way too much time on their butts with their eyes glued to one screen or another. I think some kids have not learned that the world does not revolve around the TV, computer, video games and portable electronic devices. That is the problem, in my opinion.

I am thankful that although my daughter loves her screen time she will also be just as happy to go out and play softball, run around at the park, or make art. She does throw a fit sometimes when I tell her 'enough with the screen time' but she gets over it and starts having fun with something else.

If the kid is using a device for entertainment while waiting for something away from home I think that's OK. I think reading or knitting or gaming on a device is fine.

I would much rather have a kid be quiet while waiting around for something.

Yeah, I completely agree that kids need to spend more time outside whenever possible. I was more like referring to quieter places such as the DMV, doctor's appointments, banks and other places where kids are pretty much forced to sit inside with their parents. 

I'll admit that my own kids are clueless when we go to FIL's house because there is absolutely nothing to do. They can't play outside because he lives off of a major highway where the 18 wheelers and other vehicles drive like crazy. He doesn't really have a back yard, and in the house there is nothing to do at all. He has one tv with no cable, no toys or anything, but he expects them to sit there twiddling their thumbs. Um, no. He gets pissed when I let them bring their ipods but it's not like he engages them in conversation so what does he expect them to do?

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Agreed.

Quoting jillbailey26:

I have to agree.  I read on my phone.  It's still an electronic device.  I'd rather a quiet, polite kid than one bouncing off the wall.  If a game accomplishes that, great.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My kids don't have electronic devices to take places. Usually I take a boxcar children book to read to them. Ds often takes his schoolwork.

I can understand the school work. But I've never heard of the Boxcar children so I'm not sure what kind of books those are. 

But what's the difference in between kids having books to read or an electronic device? Not all books are educational. 

Do you object to your kids having electronics at all, or just on the go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)