Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What's the difference, if there is one?

I wanted to ask your opinions on this. I had a thought today while waiting in the bank. 

I always hear people talking about how horrible it is that children today need some sort of electronic to entertain themselves. IF this doesn't apply to your kids, great. I'd still like your opinions. 

My question is this. How is it different when an adult brings a book or magazine, or even knitting along with them when they have a long wait? Why is it ok for us to entertain ourselves but not them?

Also, would you rather that kid have an electronic device that keeps them quiet or would you prefer they run around and have their parents keep fussing? I say this because to me it's always one or the other. 

What do you all think?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Boxcar children are kids chapter books. All books are educational as far as I'm concerned. Developing their reading skills is so important!
my kids do not have electronics at this point. Most of their toys are open ended and do not even take batteries. However, since we found out my 5 year old is gifted we have decided he will greatly benefit from a nabi. He is getting one for Christmas but he will only be allowed to use it where it is appropriate. He will not be playing on it in a restaurant, in church, or anywhere else it is not appropriate.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My kids don't have electronic devices to take places. Usually I take a boxcar children book to read to them. Ds often takes his schoolwork.

I can understand the school work. But I've never heard of the Boxcar children so I'm not sure what kind of books those are. 

But what's the difference in between kids having books to read or an electronic device? Not all books are educational. 

Do you object to your kids having electronics at all, or just on the go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

How old are your children?

I can appreciate the fact that you think all books are educational, however I do not share that opinion. I'm not saying that gaining reading skills isn't important, but I still don't think reading trash like Diary of A Wimpy Kid (my son has the whole series...I'm not dogging those who let their kids read it) is educational in the least. 

So you don't necessarily disagree with kids having electronics, just in appropriate places?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Boxcar children are kids chapter books. All books are educational as far as I'm concerned. Developing their reading skills is so important!
my kids do not have electronics at this point. Most of their toys are open ended and do not even take batteries. However, since we found out my 5 year old is gifted we have decided he will greatly benefit from a nabi. He is getting one for Christmas but he will only be allowed to use it where it is appropriate. He will not be playing on it in a restaurant, in church, or anywhere else it is not appropriate.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My kids don't have electronic devices to take places. Usually I take a boxcar children book to read to them. Ds often takes his schoolwork.

I can understand the school work. But I've never heard of the Boxcar children so I'm not sure what kind of books those are. 

But what's the difference in between kids having books to read or an electronic device? Not all books are educational. 

Ama2Gunner
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Before my boys had their game systems, they brought a bag of toys to play with - little lego sets, army men, whatever. I always have a book or my phone with me.

And I always prefer there to be some kind of self-control while in enclosed spaces. No need to have kids running amok, nor is it necessary for parents to be loud and obnoxious on their phones or yelling at their kids.

myoldest1999
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM
I think the complaint, more or less, is when children can get up and play instead of being on a computer or game all day...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
myoldest1999
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I LOVED Boxcar Children...those were my favorite books growing up. Thanks for the reminder...now I know what else to get my kids for Christmas!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Quoting Ama2Gunner:

Before my boys had their game systems, they brought a bag of toys to play with - little lego sets, army men, whatever. I always have a book or my phone with me.

And I always prefer there to be some kind of self-control while in enclosed spaces. No need to have kids running amok, nor is it necessary for parents to be loud and obnoxious on their phones or yelling at their kids.

I agree. I did the same with my kids...we always had toys. Too bad not everyone does the same so unfortunately my kids either had to put their toys away when other kids started grabbing for them, or be forced to give up their toys to share. 

I don't really like other kids playing with my kids toys, neither to I care for my kids playing with other kids toys. Friends are one thing. Random strangers, no thanks. Not saying we have only expensive things, but sometimes other kids don't care for your things the way your kids do, kwim?

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Quoting myoldest1999:

I think the complaint, more or less, is when children can get up and play instead of being on a computer or game all day...

Right, I can understand that. I just meant that sometimes you hear people complaining about kids having to always have a game in their faces. My question was concerning why it was ok for adults to entertain themselves during a long wait and not kids. 

I absolutely agree that kids need to get up and move more. My own 10 year old son is on his Xbox way too much, however he still maintains his grades and plays 4-5 sports a year. That's practices twice a week and games 1-2 times a week. Not to mention all the playing outside he does on weekends. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I've never heard of them. 

Quoting myoldest1999:

I LOVED Boxcar Children...those were my favorite books growing up. Thanks for the reminder...now I know what else to get my kids for Christmas!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

myoldest1999
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Which pretty much sums up my kids... I think some people just want something to fuss about.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting myoldest1999:

Right, I can understand that. I just meant that sometimes you hear people complaining about kids having to always have a game in their faces. My question was concerning why it was ok for adults to entertain themselves during a long wait and not kids. 

I absolutely agree that kids need to get up and move more. My own 10 year old son is on his Xbox way too much, however he still maintains his grades and plays 4-5 sports a year. That's practices twice a week and games 1-2 times a week. Not to mention all the playing outside he does on weekends. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I guess. I think people should mind their own business. And this post isn't something I've ever dealt with. I just hear this complaint in general about kids. 

I often wonder what else people expect them to do. Why is it ok for a woman to read a magazine while sitting in the DMV but it's horrible if a child is playing a PSP quietly?

Quoting myoldest1999:

Which pretty much sums up my kids... I think some people just want something to fuss about.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting myoldest1999:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)