Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What's the difference, if there is one?

I wanted to ask your opinions on this. I had a thought today while waiting in the bank. 

I always hear people talking about how horrible it is that children today need some sort of electronic to entertain themselves. IF this doesn't apply to your kids, great. I'd still like your opinions. 

My question is this. How is it different when an adult brings a book or magazine, or even knitting along with them when they have a long wait? Why is it ok for us to entertain ourselves but not them?

Also, would you rather that kid have an electronic device that keeps them quiet or would you prefer they run around and have their parents keep fussing? I say this because to me it's always one or the other. 

What do you all think?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM
They are 5 and 2 so still young. I believe (and was actually taught in my childhood education classes) that books expose children to language, sentence structure, vocabulary, and increase spelling skills.
I don't believe in kids constantly using electronics and I believe they need to be taught where it is and is not ok to use them.
I'm not one to judge others but that is what I believe is best for my kids.

Quoting countrymomma81:

How old are your children?

I can appreciate the fact that you think all books are educational, however I do not share that opinion. I'm not saying that gaining reading skills isn't important, but I still don't think reading trash like Diary of A Wimpy Kid (my son has the whole series...I'm not dogging those who let their kids read it) is educational in the least. 

So you don't necessarily disagree with kids having electronics, just in appropriate places?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Boxcar children are kids chapter books. All books are educational as far as I'm concerned. Developing their reading skills is so important!

my kids do not have electronics at this point. Most of their toys are open ended and do not even take batteries. However, since we found out my 5 year old is gifted we have decided he will greatly benefit from a nabi. He is getting one for Christmas but he will only be allowed to use it where it is appropriate. He will not be playing on it in a restaurant, in church, or anywhere else it is not appropriate.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My kids don't have electronic devices to take places. Usually I take a boxcar children book to read to them. Ds often takes his schoolwork.

I can understand the school work. But I've never heard of the Boxcar children so I'm not sure what kind of books those are. 

But what's the difference in between kids having books to read or an electronic device? Not all books are educational. 

Do you object to your kids having electronics at all, or just on the go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myoldest1999
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:10 PM
I remember our elementary shool librarian reading them to the class...there were two children that lived on their own in a boxcar in the woods...the older brother would bring things home like old bent forks for them to use. Basically, a brother and a sister played house...I even had dreams about them.

Quoting countrymomma81:

I've never heard of them. 

Quoting myoldest1999:

I LOVED Boxcar Children...those were my favorite books growing up. Thanks for the reminder...now I know what else to get my kids for Christmas!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Boxcar children are kids chapter books. All books are educational as far as I'm concerned. Developing their reading skills is so important!

my kids do not have electronics at this point. Most of their toys are open ended and do not even take batteries. However, since we found out my 5 year old is gifted we have decided he will greatly benefit from a nabi. He is getting one for Christmas but he will only be allowed to use it where it is appropriate. He will not be playing on it in a restaurant, in church, or anywhere else it is not appropriate.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My kids don't have electronic devices to take places. Usually I take a boxcar children book to read to them. Ds often takes his schoolwork.

I can understand the school work. But I've never heard of the Boxcar children so I'm not sure what kind of books those are. 

But what's the difference in between kids having books to read or an electronic device? Not all books are educational. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
myoldest1999
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM
LOL I have three kids so yeah...it is super important for them to sit quietly. :-)

Quoting countrymomma81:

I guess. I think people should mind their own business. And this post isn't something I've ever dealt with. I just hear this complaint in general about kids. 

I often wonder what else people expect them to do. Why is it ok for a woman to read a magazine while sitting in the DMV but it's horrible if a child is playing a PSP quietly?

Quoting myoldest1999:

Which pretty much sums up my kids... I think some people just want something to fuss about.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting myoldest1999:

I think the complaint, more or less, is when children can get up and play instead of being on a computer or game all day...

Right, I can understand that. I just meant that sometimes you hear people complaining about kids having to always have a game in their faces. My question was concerning why it was ok for adults to entertain themselves during a long wait and not kids. 

I absolutely agree that kids need to get up and move more. My own 10 year old son is on his Xbox way too much, however he still maintains his grades and plays 4-5 sports a year. That's practices twice a week and games 1-2 times a week. Not to mention all the playing outside he does on weekends. 

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM
4 children :) at the end of the first book they go to live with their grandfather. The other books are all adventures they go on. They always find a mystery to solve. Great for critical thinking skills and predictions :)

Quoting myoldest1999:

I remember our elementary shool librarian reading them to the class...there were two children that lived on their own in a boxcar in the woods...the older brother would bring things home like old bent forks for them to use. Basically, a brother and a sister played house...I even had dreams about them.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting myoldest1999:

I LOVED Boxcar Children...those were my favorite books growing up. Thanks for the reminder...now I know what else to get my kids for Christmas!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myoldest1999
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Ahh...see it was so many years ago...I really have to find them.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

4 children :) at the end of the first book they go to live with their grandfather. The other books are all adventures they go on. They always find a mystery to solve. Great for critical thinking skills and predictions :)

Quoting myoldest1999:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting myoldest1999:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I understand. I wasn't meaning this post to be judgemental or anything, it was just a genuine question I had on my mind. 

I completely agree with you when you say that kids need to be taught when and where to use electronics. I think that in many families it's just easier for the parents to shove devices at their kids and say "here, entertain yourself". Not that it's right, but it happens. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. And then other times I'm on a rampage threatening to throw out all tv's, games and computers...lol. 

Your children are young. Mine are 5 and 10 and have tv's in their rooms, ipod touches and each a video game in their room (my daughter never plays hers). I never meant for it to be this way, it just sort of happened. First my son's godparents bought him a Cars tv to match his room. I panicked but consented. Then my great aunt bought him an Xbox 360 as a Christmas gift the same year we bought him a Wii (I didn't know about her gift). I never wanted to have a child hooked on video games. By the time my daughter was 3 she had a tv in her room as well, but only for DVD's. Then she moved on to Nick Jr so we had to put cable in her room because basic cable didn't have that channel. As it stands, she can only switch between LPB and Nick Jr on her tv because we taped everything else on her remote off. She has the Wii in her room but never plays it. I hope it stays that way. 

Good for you for raising your children the way you think is best. My problem is that I have zero confidence in raising kids so I just sort of let everyone else take over. I was 20 when I had my son and I knew nothing about having kids. The minute I had him everyone in my famly and DH's took over and although he's 10 now I never really regained that parental control. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

They are 5 and 2 so still young. I believe (and was actually taught in my childhood education classes) that books expose children to language, sentence structure, vocabulary, and increase spelling skills.
I don't believe in kids constantly using electronics and I believe they need to be taught where it is and is not ok to use them.

Quoting countrymomma81:

I can appreciate the fact that you think all books are educational, however I do not share that opinion. I'm not saying that gaining reading skills isn't important, but I still don't think reading trash like Diary of A Wimpy Kid (my son has the whole series...I'm not dogging those who let their kids read it) is educational in the least. 

So you don't necessarily disagree with kids having electronics, just in appropriate places?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I am so thankful I went to college and learned all about kids before I ever had any! Plus I spent years watching other people's Kidd before ever having my own. The education and experience have been priceless. My parents aren't big on electronics either and my in-laws don't buy my kids stuff so its easy for me.
you didn't come off as judgemental at all and I hope I did not either. I enjoy discussing different points of view with others when it can be done with the understanding its ok not to believe the same thing :)

Quoting countrymomma81:

I understand. I wasn't meaning this post to be judgemental or anything, it was just a genuine question I had on my mind. 

I completely agree with you when you say that kids need to be taught when and where to use electronics. I think that in many families it's just easier for the parents to shove devices at their kids and say "here, entertain yourself". Not that it's right, but it happens. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes. And then other times I'm on a rampage threatening to throw out all tv's, games and computers...lol. 

Your children are young. Mine are 5 and 10 and have tv's in their rooms, ipod touches and each a video game in their room (my daughter never plays hers). I never meant for it to be this way, it just sort of happened. First my son's godparents bought him a Cars tv to match his room. I panicked but consented. Then my great aunt bought him an Xbox 360 as a Christmas gift the same year we bought him a Wii (I didn't know about her gift). I never wanted to have a child hooked on video games. By the time my daughter was 3 she had a tv in her room as well, but only for DVD's. Then she moved on to Nick Jr so we had to put cable in her room because basic cable didn't have that channel. As it stands, she can only switch between LPB and Nick Jr on her tv because we taped everything else on her remote off. She has the Wii in her room but never plays it. I hope it stays that way. 

Good for you for raising your children the way you think is best. My problem is that I have zero confidence in raising kids so I just sort of let everyone else take over. I was 20 when I had my son and I knew nothing about having kids. The minute I had him everyone in my famly and DH's took over and although he's 10 now I never really regained that parental control. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carloe09
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM
OP, I didn't want to quote your reply earlier and make a super long post, but I think you hit the nail on the head in your last reply. People shove electronics at their kids and say "here, entertain yourself." I think that's what most people have a problem with. I have 2 examples.

1. The kids I saw in the restaurant I used to work at: Families would sit down, pull out an ipad, turn on a movie and hand it to their 2 year old. Then the parents would ignore the kid, other than feeding it. Or a family would come in and each kid would have a handheld game. No one would speak, except to order, and the parents had nothing to do with the kids.

2. My daughter: She's 5 and yes, she has a mobigo. But we don't take it EVERYWHERE. When we're on a 5 hour drive to the beach, sure she's allowed to bring it. But she also brings Barbies, coloring books, etc. And we always spend time playing games as a family (I Spy, 20 Questions, etc). When we go to a restaurant, she can take her purse, which usually has a couple small toys and some crayons. But we play with her toys with her or help her do the activities on the kid's menu.

I have no problem with kids having electronic devices (especially educational ones), but I think there needs to be a balance. Just like a TV shouldn't be a babysitter at home, parents shouldn't use an ipad as a babysitter when they leave home.
jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting diaperstodating:

I don't see a difference.

Neither do I. But people in general seem to have issues with games so I just wanted different opinions. 

Exactly. My mom is like this. She just thinks video games are evil overall. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

See, in my case I never wanted kids. Nor did I plan the ones I have. It took me a while (like my whole first pregnancy) to accept them, but once my oldest got here he was welcomed with open arms and loved as much as any other kid. I hated babysitting when I was young and really didn't want much to do with kids at all. Even when I was a kid I was always around older kids because I didn't care for kids my own age. 

My parents and grandparents weren't big on electronics either, and I wasn't until recently. Now I never leave my house without my nook and I have internet on my phone. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I am so thankful I went to college and learned all about kids before I ever had any! Plus I spent years watching other people's Kidd before ever having my own. The education and experience have been priceless. My parents aren't big on electronics either and my in-laws don't buy my kids stuff so its easy for me.
you didn't come off as judgemental at all and I hope I did not either. I enjoy discussing different points of view with others when it can be done with the understanding its ok not to believe the same thing :)

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)