Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

What's the difference, if there is one?

I wanted to ask your opinions on this. I had a thought today while waiting in the bank. 

I always hear people talking about how horrible it is that children today need some sort of electronic to entertain themselves. IF this doesn't apply to your kids, great. I'd still like your opinions. 

My question is this. How is it different when an adult brings a book or magazine, or even knitting along with them when they have a long wait? Why is it ok for us to entertain ourselves but not them?

Also, would you rather that kid have an electronic device that keeps them quiet or would you prefer they run around and have their parents keep fussing? I say this because to me it's always one or the other. 

What do you all think?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Quoting Carloe09:

OP, I didn't want to quote your reply earlier and make a super long post, but I think you hit the nail on the head in your last reply. People shove electronics at their kids and say "here, entertain yourself." I think that's what most people have a problem with. I have 2 examples.

1. The kids I saw in the restaurant I used to work at: Families would sit down, pull out an ipad, turn on a movie and hand it to their 2 year old. Then the parents would ignore the kid, other than feeding it. Or a family would come in and each kid would have a handheld game. No one would speak, except to order, and the parents had nothing to do with the kids.

2. My daughter: She's 5 and yes, she has a mobigo. But we don't take it EVERYWHERE. When we're on a 5 hour drive to the beach, sure she's allowed to bring it. But she also brings Barbies, coloring books, etc. And we always spend time playing games as a family (I Spy, 20 Questions, etc). When we go to a restaurant, she can take her purse, which usually has a couple small toys and some crayons. But we play with her toys with her or help her do the activities on the kid's menu.

I have no problem with kids having electronic devices (especially educational ones), but I think there needs to be a balance. Just like a TV shouldn't be a babysitter at home, parents shouldn't use an ipad as a babysitter when they leave home.

We are a mixed balance. Sometimes when we go places it's nice to have the kids entertained because DH and I really don't get much time to talk anymore. Other times we insist on family time. 

If my son had it his way he'd bring his ipod touch everywhere. And for the most part, he does. But he's not allowed to take it down at stores, restuarants and things like that. Surprisingly enough though, this summer when we went on vacation we had a 6 hour drive. We brought their DVD players, tablets and ipods. It lasted a short while but they preferred to just take in the scenery and talk with us. It was nice, but I won't lie, after a few hours of consant chatter we were begging them to watch a movie. 

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Quoting Dr.Rustles:

And this has what to do with my post?

Carloe09
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Haha. There are definitely times on long trips where we "kindly suggest" the mobigo. :)

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting Carloe09:

OP, I didn't want to quote your reply earlier and make a super long post, but I think you hit the nail on the head in your last reply. People shove electronics at their kids and say "here, entertain yourself." I think that's what most people have a problem with. I have 2 examples.

1. The kids I saw in the restaurant I used to work at: Families would sit down, pull out an ipad, turn on a movie and hand it to their 2 year old. Then the parents would ignore the kid, other than feeding it. Or a family would come in and each kid would have a handheld game. No one would speak, except to order, and the parents had nothing to do with the kids.

2. My daughter: She's 5 and yes, she has a mobigo. But we don't take it EVERYWHERE. When we're on a 5 hour drive to the beach, sure she's allowed to bring it. But she also brings Barbies, coloring books, etc. And we always spend time playing games as a family (I Spy, 20 Questions, etc). When we go to a restaurant, she can take her purse, which usually has a couple small toys and some crayons. But we play with her toys with her or help her do the activities on the kid's menu.

I have no problem with kids having electronic devices (especially educational ones), but I think there needs to be a balance. Just like a TV shouldn't be a babysitter at home, parents shouldn't use an ipad as a babysitter when they leave home.

We are a mixed balance. Sometimes when we go places it's nice to have the kids entertained because DH and I really don't get much time to talk anymore. Other times we insist on family time. 

If my son had it his way he'd bring his ipod touch everywhere. And for the most part, he does. But he's not allowed to take it down at stores, restuarants and things like that. Surprisingly enough though, this summer when we went on vacation we had a 6 hour drive. We brought their DVD players, tablets and ipods. It lasted a short while but they preferred to just take in the scenery and talk with us. It was nice, but I won't lie, after a few hours of consant chatter we were begging them to watch a movie. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

No difference here. I think we all take things along with us to help make a wait more bearable.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quoting mumsy2three:

No difference here. I think we all take things along with us to help make a wait more bearable.

I agree:) I had to bring my cousin's car to the tire shop to get her tire repaired and I brought my nook along. 

Ethl
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

When ny kids were smaller we pnly had 1 tv so the evening was always family time--I always looked forward to wait time --that was the time to connect with kids.talk and teach them to do group things--really amde a close family--we had no money for electronics and am thankful--we shared many quiet talk times--instead of worrying about kids diets we should be more aware of activity time---

mia1cal
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I dont think there is anything wrong with it. My daughetr just bought my grandson an ipad.at first I thought it was ridiclous, but it is a learning tool as well as an entertainment tool for the kids.  They have all types of learning material apps and childrens books you can download.  Although I just self published two childrens books because i couldnt find any good childrens books that I liked and was fun for kids  to read--  Especially for kids who dont like to read.  check it out on amzon.com & barnes and nobles.  Titles; where is  Scales & Tommy and Scales at the park.  Aobout a boy and his lizard.  cute and fun story. Product DetailsProduct Details

Vix920
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

No difference at all. My son is 2 1/2 and loves doing flash cards on my phone. But I always bring something tangible for him to play with, too. Electronic toys/games are the new normal.

doulala
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Quoting countrymomma81:

My question is this. How is it different when an adult brings a book or magazine, or even knitting along with them when they have a long wait? Why is it ok for us to entertain ourselves but not them?

While the brain and imagination are growing and vulnerable, it's important to be careful with what we expose them to.    If we can do better then maybe we should.     What did we do, or what do other children do while having to wait patiently?
Children can bring in their own knitting or a book like adults do, something quiet to do without exposing them to electronic media.

We can entertain both simultaneously.  ;-)

Also, would you rather that kid have an electronic device that keeps them quiet or would you prefer they run around and have their parents keep fussing? I say this because to me it's always one or the other.

This is the time to help them to learn to be patient, maybe play at the park before/after.    We are setting examples & training them to become respectful people-- we don't want to wait, or else when are they going to learn?      lol

I can say that my kids have never used electronic devices and we do other things while waiting, so it is possible.

GL!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting doulala:

Quoting countrymomma81:

While the brain and imagination are growing and vulnerable, it's important to be careful with what we expose them to.    If we can do better then maybe we should.     What did we do, or what do other children do while having to wait patiently?
Children can bring in their own knitting or a book like adults do, something quiet to do without exposing them to electronic media.

We can entertain both simultaneously.  ;-)

This is the time to help them to learn to be patient, maybe play at the park before/after.    We are setting examples & training them to become respectful people-- we don't want to wait, or else when are they going to learn?      lol

I can say that my kids have never used electronic devices and we do other things while waiting, so it is possible.

GL!

Thank you. You have answered my questions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN