Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

From only child to big brother.

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help. My son is a very good hearted little boy and says he is very excited about the new baby but he is seven years old and has been an only child for all that time. He has never really had to share Mommy and Daddy for seven years. I know he is going to have some hang ups because it is normal. Any advice? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Replies (11-18):
LittleMama2012
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Jealousy is a natural thing. Explain to them that now he will be the "big brother" and play up how important his role is in the family. Always encourage him to help and ask his opinion such as what the baby should wear. Let him pick some things out. Buy him a toy or something he wants and give it to him from the baby when you give birth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Ooo I like that! I think I will write that down on my list as well. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM
I agree. I am still hoping my DH changes his mind about wanting only one because even Kyle (DS) is saying he wants a baby brother. He is 5 and a half years old.

Quoting Babujai:

Get him involved in caring for the baby so that he feels some responsibility...that way it's not like he's sharing you with the baby...it's more like he's sharing the baby with you.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM

That is when Tomas started wanting a sibling as well. 

Quoting KylesMom409:

I agree. I am still hoping my DH changes his mind about wanting only one because even Kyle (DS) is saying he wants a baby brother. He is 5 and a half years old.

Quoting Babujai:

Get him involved in caring for the baby so that he feels some responsibility...that way it's not like he's sharing you with the baby...it's more like he's sharing the baby with you.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Me and my husband are expecting another son in March and our first son will be 5 nexth month. We have hm invloed with this pregnancy as much as he wants to be. He helps us picked out toys, clothes, paint color for his room and if he wants we sometime take him to the dr's. He is every excited to be a big brother.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Yeah, we are redoing his big boy room to a theme he would love to have and he helped me pick out some colors for the babies room as well. Tomas loves being at all my doctors visits (the ones I will let him go to). And we are trying to hug on him and tell him how awesome of a big brother he is going to be. He gives my belly kisses and tells the baby he loves it every day. 

Quoting LoriAnn87:

Me and my husband are expecting another son in March and our first son will be 5 nexth month. We have hm invloed with this pregnancy as much as he wants to be. He helps us picked out toys, clothes, paint color for his room and if he wants we sometime take him to the dr's. He is every excited to be a big brother.

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Yeah, we are redoing his big boy room to a theme he would love to have and he helped me pick out some colors for the babies room as well. Tomas loves being at all my doctors visits (the ones I will let him go to). And we are trying to hug on him and tell him how awesome of a big brother he is going to be. He gives my belly kisses and tells the baby he loves it every day. 

Quoting LoriAnn87:

that's great. My son Mikey loves touch my belly and giving his little brother kiss. He always ask me how I'm doing and if I need anything.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd was 8 when her first little brother was born. She had a very hard time adjusting to the transition to big sister. She didn't want anything to do with him at first so we didn't force him to be involved with him. We would ask her if she wanted to pick out his outfit or hold him and such but didn't make her do it if she said no thanks. She's 19 now and the boys are 10 and 7. She is a great big sister now. Make sure to continue some one on one time with him too, so he knows that you are still there for him as much as you are for the baby.

Congrats and good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN