Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

7 years ago when I gave birth to my son I had this birthing plan that I was going to do everything natural and have this awesome pregnancy and birth. Boy did my son decide differently! Nothing went my way and I ended up with the completely opposite experience. I think this time I am just going to chuck the whole birthing plan. What do you think? Birthing plans, yes or no?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
mandyjh
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
This, with my second any way it's much more relaxing this way :) I had a birth plan with my first, and all it did was cause unnessasary guilt and stress.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I didn't have a birthing plan. I went with the flow and made decisions as I went.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ama2Gunner
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I think having a birthing plan is nice, but one should be prepared for anything. Also, maybe hire a doula who can advocate with you and help you stay as close as possible to your plan.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I never even heard of a birth plan until I was pregnant with my 4th child...so I wrote one up.  But, by the time I wrote it up, I had already discussed everything that mattered to me with my OB and he knew what my wishes were and the birth plan was really just a waste of paper.

ShaunnaMichelle
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I did the same thing for my first. I never made a birth plan again. Kids don't do plans. 

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Trust me a Doula wouldn't be able to help if this child gets over 7lbs. My son was almost 9 lbs when he came out and my narrow hips only allowed enough room for a 6lb child. Unfortunately I was at a hospital not equipped for emergency situations like this and I didn't want them touching me at all. We tried to force vaginal instead of a c-section and now looking back I feel more guilty I didn't do the c-section because it was way more traumatic for my son and for myself. They had to pulled him out and we both didn't enjoy our experience. My sister had to have a c-section because of the same issue and she told me she enjoyed her experience more. She should know because she was there for the birth of my son. So this time I am going with the flow and I have made sure I made all the arrangements to be close to the hospital best for those types of situations, found a doctor who was better than my last and that listens, and explained how my last birth went. I feel more confident this time and like I know what I am doing more than with my son. I will probably be just as freaked out during my birth but at least I have a bit more than the unknown this time lol. 

Quoting Ama2Gunner:

I think having a birthing plan is nice, but one should be prepared for anything. Also, maybe hire a doula who can advocate with you and help you stay as close as possible to your plan.

chinosruca
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I did't have a plan in place. I just went with the flow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurplePieguy
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I never had one. I'm a go with the flow type of gal.....simply because you never really know what's going to happen. 

AleaKat
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:43 AM
It's nice to have an idea of what you would like but a full out birth plan is a waist of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zumbafreak11
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Your birthing plan was mine 7 years ago when I had my daughter, but I ended up being induced since she was very stubborn and insisted on being born a week after my due date.  I think that it's Okay to have a birthing plan as long as you're willing to accept the fact that it may not go exactly as you'd like and have realistic expectations.

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

my birth plan was basically to "deliver a healthy baby."  My wishes were met. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN