Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 years ago when I gave birth to my son I had this birthing plan that I was going to do everything natural and have this awesome pregnancy and birth. Boy did my son decide differently! Nothing went my way and I ended up with the completely opposite experience. I think this time I am just going to chuck the whole birthing plan. What do you think? Birthing plans, yes or no?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I didn't have a birthing plan with my boys. I had big babies, and had c-sectiions.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I didn't have a birthing plan. 

I had a general idea, but went with the flow.  You can't control everything and being flexible and amendable is necessary.

ashmac03
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I think birthing plans are ridiculous!  People make them trying to control something they have no control over.  Of course everyone wants a beautiful picture perfect birthing experience but it usually all goes out the window as soon as labor starts.  

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM

That is what happened with my son when I gave birth. I kind of felt like Wendy off of "What to Expect When You're Expecting". She goes in to the labor room and starts pushing that she had a birthing plan and it was all typed out... and the doctor kind of gave that look like "Good for you but here is reality!"

GMom2011
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I bellieve its fine to have a "plan" but its very important to be flexible with that plan. Despite what some people on CM post, birthing isn't always a "natural, easy process." Just because our bodies are designed for child bearing and birth, doesn't mean that it works right for everyone.

I have heard stories of women so staunch about sticking to their birthing plan, that they put their baby in danger because they refused to listen to doctor's warnings. I also feel that most women that were miserable about their birthing experience were so because they were set on a "plan" and not prepared to be flexible. If the end result is a healthy baby and mom, then nothing to me is more important.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I agree, the part that got me when I gave birth was I decided on going to a hospital because they were great for natural births but refused to research the just in case. So I was stuck in this hospital that had a huge "F" when it came to emergency situations and had a high number or nosocomial infections in surgery. So my birth was horrid and traumatic for both of us. I think that it is great to research both sides because it doesn't always go the way you want. 

Quoting GMom2011:

I bellieve its fine to have a "plan" but its very important to be flexible with that plan. Despite what some people on CM post, birthing isn't always a "natural, easy process." Just because our bodies are designed for child bearing and birth, doesn't mean that it works right for everyone.

I have heard stories of women so staunch about sticking to their birthing plan, that they put their baby in danger because they refused to listen to doctor's warnings. I also feel that most women that were miserable about their birthing experience were so because they were set on a "plan" and not prepared to be flexible. If the end result is a healthy baby and mom, then nothing to me is more important.

garrettleesmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I did not really have a plan except to get him out healthy.  I had a C-section at 32 1/2 weeks, so anything I would have planned would have gone out the window anyway.

CafeMom Tickers
KeimUNCmomof3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM

no birthing plans, they go out the door once you're in delivery, well for me it did anyway.  i never expected to have c-sections since every woman in my entire family has had vaginal births.  it was traumatic, for me anyway.  i am over it now, of course.  i'm done having babies too!

justliloleme
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

No birthing plan here. I knew I wanted to have kids. But sadly I can't on my own. C-section everytime. Discuss with ur dr what ur willing and unwilling to do. But other than that I say just go with what ur baby and body decide they wanna do!!

oahoah
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Same thing happened with me 8 years ago but I still like the idea!  I say go for making your plan as long as you don't become too upset if it doesn't happen just like you planned. Congrats on your next baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)