Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

7 years ago when I gave birth to my son I had this birthing plan that I was going to do everything natural and have this awesome pregnancy and birth. Boy did my son decide differently! Nothing went my way and I ended up with the completely opposite experience. I think this time I am just going to chuck the whole birthing plan. What do you think? Birthing plans, yes or no?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Replies (31-36):
exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I never had a birthing plan- the only thing I was sure of was that I wanted an epidural each and every time, other than that I just went with the flow!

mommybug77
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:52 AM
I never even considered one. The baby is in charge not me.
Ama2Gunner
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

My first born's birth didn't go like I wanted it either, but I had a birth plan that accomodated that. My birth plan talked about what I wanted for my midwife-assisted birth, but also what to do if the birth had to transition to a c-section. Since we ended up with a c-section (for various reasons), I was able to calmly transition to that, since I had already researched and knew what kind of drugs they might use, so I could have the best start for my baby. 

Doctors don't know everything, and a lot of them push procedures on people because they can charge more for them. C-sections cost more than vaginal births, so why not suggest that? That boat has to get paid for somehow.

Sometimes going with the flow causes more issues than not. Being educated about your options, informed about the medications and their potential side effects, and knowledgeable about the whole process is always a good idea.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Trust me a Doula wouldn't be able to help if this child gets over 7lbs. My son was almost 9 lbs when he came out and my narrow hips only allowed enough room for a 6lb child. Unfortunately I was at a hospital not equipped for emergency situations like this and I didn't want them touching me at all. We tried to force vaginal instead of a c-section and now looking back I feel more guilty I didn't do the c-section because it was way more traumatic for my son and for myself. They had to pulled him out and we both didn't enjoy our experience. My sister had to have a c-section because of the same issue and she told me she enjoyed her experience more. She should know because she was there for the birth of my son. So this time I am going with the flow and I have made sure I made all the arrangements to be close to the hospital best for those types of situations, found a doctor who was better than my last and that listens, and explained how my last birth went. I feel more confident this time and like I know what I am doing more than with my son. I will probably be just as freaked out during my birth but at least I have a bit more than the unknown this time lol. 

Quoting Ama2Gunner:

I think having a birthing plan is nice, but one should be prepared for anything. Also, maybe hire a doula who can advocate with you and help you stay as close as possible to your plan.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I am educated on this whole thing and have medical training as well. I have spoken to everyone and realized that I wasn't given the easy route in life when it came to birth. My hips are naturally small and I have to be in situations where I have people to take care of this. I have interviewed midwives and doctors this time around to see what the best plan is. Yes you will have some incompetent doctors but most of the time you will find that you have a doctor who knows their stuff. The doctor I have now listens to me and she understands that this pregnancy can go either way. I am already doing my pregnancy Yoga and meditation on top of preparing for classes to help out with birthing techniques. Since my son was born I have been introduced to more than one way to give birth and I made that decision on research and knowledge of my own body. Sometimes going with the flow is better than worrying about a plan that may never happen since you have no idea how things are going to go the second time around. If I go by my son's birth I should prepare for a c-section. But this pregnancy is nothing like my son's and is calmer. So instead my husband is there and I am prepping everything the way I feel I should be comfortable. I am in the best hospital in the Treasure Valley that covers natural to emergency situations this time around. My doctor doesn't feed me any BS and asks me what do I want. I have idea's, I relayed those ideas to my doctor and we are looking at all the options. If my doctor says "Hey, c-section" then I am going with her on this because I know that is a possibility that we have talked about. If the child is over 7 pounds then I know that she isn't joking or feeding me anything. If under 7 pounds and the child is fine then we are going vaginal. I told the doctor I wanted to try a few methods of birthing and she agreed. But I also told her that if she see's a need for it then tell me c-section. 

Quoting Ama2Gunner:

My first born's birth didn't go like I wanted it either, but I had a birth plan that accomodated that. My birth plan talked about what I wanted for my midwife-assisted birth, but also what to do if the birth had to transition to a c-section. Since we ended up with a c-section (for various reasons), I was able to calmly transition to that, since I had already researched and knew what kind of drugs they might use, so I could have the best start for my baby. 

Doctors don't know everything, and a lot of them push procedures on people because they can charge more for them. C-sections cost more than vaginal births, so why not suggest that? That boat has to get paid for somehow.

Sometimes going with the flow causes more issues than not. Being educated about your options, informed about the medications and their potential side effects, and knowledgeable about the whole process is always a good idea.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Trust me a Doula wouldn't be able to help if this child gets over 7lbs. My son was almost 9 lbs when he came out and my narrow hips only allowed enough room for a 6lb child. Unfortunately I was at a hospital not equipped for emergency situations like this and I didn't want them touching me at all. We tried to force vaginal instead of a c-section and now looking back I feel more guilty I didn't do the c-section because it was way more traumatic for my son and for myself. They had to pulled him out and we both didn't enjoy our experience. My sister had to have a c-section because of the same issue and she told me she enjoyed her experience more. She should know because she was there for the birth of my son. So this time I am going with the flow and I have made sure I made all the arrangements to be close to the hospital best for those types of situations, found a doctor who was better than my last and that listens, and explained how my last birth went. I feel more confident this time and like I know what I am doing more than with my son. I will probably be just as freaked out during my birth but at least I have a bit more than the unknown this time lol. 

Quoting Ama2Gunner:

I think having a birthing plan is nice, but one should be prepared for anything. Also, maybe hire a doula who can advocate with you and help you stay as close as possible to your plan.

kourtneya
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I had one. No epidural and I didn't get one with either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenmatt451
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I didn't have a birth plan with any of mine.  My first went completely opposite of my expectations.  Due to unforseen circumstances that were out of everyone's control;  I was given an epidural, lots and lots of pitocin, demerol and an episeotomy.  My second was so much easier in every way.  My last (twins) was again completely opposite of my expectations.  But, I educated myself on every possible scenerio so I wouldn't be surprised if things didn't go as planned.  Yes, I ended up delivering by c-section; but I was okay with it because I knew it was a posibility early on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)