Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you read to your children? 

If you do, what sort of books? What age did you start? How do you get your children to interact with you when you read? 

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I did with my daughter. My boys don't like me reading to them for some reason. They always close the book on me and go off to do something else...lol.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

yes I read to my DD. She has a couple books ...likes to look at the pics and hear my voice I think...she always sits quietly and watches the books when I read. I read to her every day before bed...shes 8.5 months old

TugBoatMama
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Yes we read. Not every night but on the nights where we can fit it in. They like Skippy John Jones, Captain Underpants, Bad Kitty and Wimpy Kid books. My theatre background tends to help the kids get into the story because I like to do all the voices and sounds.

mrswillie
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

In high school I had an instructor who would do this. She asked me if I knew how to read and I told her yes and then she asked me, "but do you understand it"? That changed my whole view of reading. 

Quoting mrswillie:

Actually mine are teens now but I use to. Also, dh has trouble comprehending books he doesn't like, so if he has to read a book for school, he reads it to me so we can discuss it.

At first I thought ds wasn't reading the books because he was failing the tests.Hell, I didn't read most of them when I was in school because I wasn't interested. Anyway, I started making him read out loud where I could hear but he was still failing. Then I realized what was going on. Last year he read Of Mice and Men to me. and he passed. I finally made him go to the library and keep trying new books. If he wasn't interested in the first chapter he would take it back and get another. Now he loves to read.

storkradio193
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM

We read at nap time and bedtime every day.  it is part of the routine.  All are young childrens' books, as my oldest is three.  We interact depending on the book.  Right now, my three year old likes to try and say the months after we read a rhyming book about the months.  She gets them mixed up, but it is surprising how quickly they learn.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Poosaloosa
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I have read to my son since he could sit up.  We read 1-2 books a night, and depending on the day sometimes many more.  His favorite are the Skippyjon Jones books by Judy Sachner, they have singing and clapping and lots of rhymes, which he loves.  And they are kind of silly.  We wiggle, and laugh and act out parts, it's very fun.  He also asks many questions. I am thinking once we get settled again I may get a library card can check out a couple every week. 

ardiaxe
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I've been reading to my kids since they were born.  They love books and can't get enough.  My son now four started reading at 3, and my daughter now two recognizes her alphabet and can sound out every letter.  The benefit to reading to my kids has been amazing.  We make library trips often and read for about an hour a day.  

One thing that has helped is pointing to every word as I read it, they pick up on word recognition quickly.  Also sounding out words as I read them, or pretending I can't read a word and letting them help me sound it out.  

My four year old loves curious George books and some early reader books that he can read with me. My 2 year old loves abc, shapes, colors type books.  She also loves animal books and touch and feel books.  I have found that the simpler the book the better.  So big words with simple stories is better for teaching than the small print with more complex stories.  

SerenityBerry
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM

We read to our daughter, I started when she was one. We read board books then. She is 7 now, we read chapter books like Junie B Jones and I have just recently started reading the first Harry Potter book with her. We make up voices and I will ask her how she thinks certain things make the charecter feel, or what she thinks might happen next, then we read on to see if we are right. We also sometimes alternate pages, I read a page to her then she reads a page to me.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM

My children read to themselves now, they are 19, 10 and 7.

When they were younger I read to them every night beginning when they were maybe a year or a year and a half old.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM

That was the same problem with my son until he turned 3. Then we started reading small books and gradually moved up to bigger books. He would not sit still for the life of me and bed time was hard. As he got older like around 4 he settled down and loved it but it took me a whole year to get him there lol. 

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I did with my daughter. My boys don't like me reading to them for some reason. They always close the book on me and go off to do something else...lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)