Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you read to your children? 

If you do, what sort of books? What age did you start? How do you get your children to interact with you when you read? 

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Replies (21-23):
oahoah
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I have always loved reading to my boys. I started when my first son, who is now 8, was a baby. He couldn't move yet, he had no choice but to be snuggled in my arms and listening to what I read to him! My 2nd son did not like the reading time so much but I still continued it and found that it was still very enjoyable for my first son and now with my youngest who is 3, we have great, long story times.  As for what we read, I just go to the library and pick out books that look good to me, and now they are older (8, 5, 3) and I let them pick out books that might be interesting to them (I review them first).  When reading, I try to remind myself that interaction is good, if they want to ask questions about the pictures or a word, it's ok, if they want to say the funny sounds it is fine. Our library had a few printouts of Caldecott Award winning books and I will often refer to those when I am out of book ideas.

Marimaru
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I started reading to Isabelle when she was about 6 months old.  Mostly at that age, I would just have her turn the page for me when it was time.  We read some stories almost every night.  I have her pick the ones she wants me to read, and pick new ones at stores when we have the chance.  And sometimes she points out what is in the pictures on the pages, etc.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Yeah, my son had acid reflux until he turned three and it calmed down I was more concerned with sleep and my mental health than with reading. He was medicated for it as well. About three is when the acid reflux ebbed away and things calmed down for all of us. I think I got about 2 hours of sleep a day for three years. Now my son loves reading. Both my husband and I go in his room and we hang out with him while reading a book. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)