Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waiting 'til the last minute...

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 6 1/2 year old DD hates to take the time to go to the bathroom. I remind her and she says she doesn't have to. Sometimes I need to drag her. She gets to the point where her underwear is wet when she finally does go. She also holds her poop so that gets in her underwear too. Anyone had this problem? We tried taking away privleges but that didn't work. Rewards never worked for when potty training either.

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KairisMama
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. Ive been there. It was a struggle. I had to make DD go every two hours whether she had to or not. I had to really pay attention to her potty dance or other signs she was holding it. I even told her K teacher to make her go at every bathroom break. She finally just stopped, and is going when she should now. Shes in first.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AprilC35
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM

yes. My oldest daughter had the issues with the poop thing...but thats just because she had bowel issues and it would hurt her when shed go...Shes 17 now and is fine...One thing my mother used to say when I would get really stressed...."Shes not going to graduate H.S./college/get married without being able to walk/be potty trained/etc..." and thats the way I look at things with all my other kids. 

Talk to her ped if you havent already and remember that hopefully this is a stage/phase...If she doesnt grow out of it pretty soon, she may have medical issues.

justliloleme
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:59 PM

My youngest son did the same thing. Get ready to go somewhere and tell everyone to potty. He would swear he didn't have to go. 5 minutes in the car and he had to go so bad most times he couldn't hold it. And had accidents. Luckily I have boys so a jar or someting stays in the car for those emergencies. And sadly for us punishment didn't work. He's 6 and 1/2 now. And has finally outgrown it!! Good luck to you!

mommybug77
by Crystal on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Not past about 4 y/o good luck
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM
I have to constantly ask Kyle if he has to go because he'll hold it until he can't anymore. He's 5 and a half and as of late, he's gotten better with it. But he's a boy so we'll see how long it lasts. LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Grr. It must be a thing they go through because I'm dealing with it right now with both of my kids. 

They wait until the last possible minute then have a fit when they can't go right then and there. 

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Same issue with my 5 yr old ds. I always think it's funny when I tell him to go use the restroom and he'll look at me amazed and say "How did you know I had to go potty?" The mars rover could see him doing the potty dance and holding himself. lol It's not exactly subtle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)