Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Career Goals??

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM
  • 2 Replies

I am getting a little flustered with myself..... 

I have been a SHM for the last 11 years.  Well, not completely.  I have worked PT as a photographer at a local theme park for the last 5 but considering the work force I left, I do not consider that an actual job..... I could choose whether to go to work or not and sometimes if it does not fit my "children's schedules" I give my shift away ... I choose to chaperone trips, volunteer in there schools and go to their sports activities.... this is now, after schooling them at home for 8 years ... BUT....

Lately, I am starting to think about getting back into the work force.  I am a bit frustrated because I applied for several positions and did not get the job.  I was told by one HR dept that I have been out of the workforce for a long period of time and do not have the experience that is required.  Well, I have taken training classes to stay UP on the field (I use to be a marketing manager for an e-business solutions company in New York City).

SO ... while I am getting frustrated, I am kind of wondering how you, if any, have handled your career goals after having been out of the workforce -or never got INTO the corporate world?  Thought of starting your own business?  Please tell me I am not going crazy!  I need to figure out something...  2 of my daughters are in H.S. now, my son is in elementary and I am thinking I need to focus on me now.....

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM

The job market is very touchy about long absences ... I only took 1 year off when I had my DD so I was not out of the market long enough.  Still I remember being asked why the 1 year gap in my resume.  Sometimes it's better to just take a lower or level entry position - once you're back in it, then apply somewhere else or work your way up ...

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I am in the same boat. My son was born with acid reflux and had to be medicated. Three years later the acid calmed down and he could sleep through the night and I could gain my sanity back. I started working thankless temp jobs that promised to hire me but then decided to throw me out on the sidewalk once I gave them what they wanted. Then my son turned four and they declared he had Achilles Tendinitis and needed therapy. Well that therapy turned out to be physical therapy twice a week that slowly went down to once a week, a doctors visit once a week, and he had to see a surgeon who fitted him for leg braces once a week. Jobs laughed at me and said no. I wasn't even getting rejection letters anymore. My husband decided for financial reasons that it didn't make sense for me to work for 6-7 dollars an hour anyways because my paycheck would just be wasted on daycare and gas and we wouldn't end up with anything from the paycheck at all. So he asked me to stay home. I agreed and my son and I started focusing on his physical therapy. During this whole time I was also going to college for my associates degree in Medical (I started when he was three and a half and was done before turned five). I started working on different things to help him with his Achilles Tendinitis. Finally we started Yoga. I bought him his own Yoga mat and we worked his legs out. Then I started doing hair for friends and family. My husband took me aside and told me that maybe I should look into going back to school for cosmetology because I had a real gift with it. I mean I don't look like a super star every day because I just don't have the time but when I do take the time I can be an artist. Then he also offered that maybe I could teach Yoga part time and should look into getting my license. So I am going for both and found out I can do both. 

I say go for it now. You are right, this is the perfect time to go for it! Big companies keep telling you no? Pfft, get back up and say, "I'll show you." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)