Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Are you present when...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM
  • 57 Replies

You are at your children's lessons? I mean not just physically being there, but actually watching your children.

I was watching my 4 year old in his karate class tonight and as I looked around I noticed that of the 8 other parents that were there....I was the only one paying attention to what the kids were doing.  EVERYother parent was playing on their cell phone nearly the whole time. I know there are always exceptions for needing to use your phone...but I think barring anything major that the parents attention should be on their child.

Thoughts?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:32 AM
2 moms liked this
No I'm usually talking to other parents. I look up every once in a while but I see him there once a week and we homeschool. I need adult interaction!
I'm also that parent who doesn't play with their kid at the park. I watch my kids but they need time with other kids and I need a break!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenuresti5
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:44 AM

I had my girls in dance and gymnastics and would watch them but i would also do other things because if they saw me watching too closely they would get distracted.

tel4him
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I'm playing on the cell phone and just looking at them once in a while.  I stay home and am with them all the time.  Besides, I'm paying good money for those lessons, I want them paying attention to the teacher, not me.

goddess829
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:46 AM

I study, but try to keep my ears open.  A lot of times (esp. at my daughters dance studio) they like the parents to sit and be quiet so that the teachers can teach the kids.  The teachers like to handle any minor problems w/o parental involvement.  If the kids are being VERY rammy (which I would notice)  then the parents can step in.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM

When my oldest daughter started taking guitar lessons...I sat on the floor in the teeny room, until I was comfortable with her teacher and with her being alone with him....then I waited in the main part of the store, or ran an errand elsewhere during her lessons.

When my youngest daughter took dance, parents waited in a room separate from the studio and there were no windows to see in through.

Honestly, I see no reason why a parent must sit and actually watch a child taking a lesson.  Now if it was an open lesson for parents (the dance studio did this once per season where parents could sit in the room and watch)....then, yes, the parent should be watching.  Or if it is a recital or the child is being promoted or tested...then the parent should certainly watch.  But, to just sit and watch every week....no way....I always took a book with me to read.

Kris0806
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I wasn't saying you to stare at them the whole time without taking your eyes off them and I certainly never step-in or distract from the lesson (they face away from the parents most the time) but I like to have him know that I am watching so we can either practice what he needs later or that when he does something he is proud of that I can honestly say I saw it.  The parents I saw last night were literally glued to their cell phones the entire class.

I appreciate your opinions.

tyfry7496
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM
I'm there. At practice I talked to parents, did homework or answered emails. At games I watched.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liss05
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Sadly I am normally keeping  my 2yo entertained  but I love watching him todo  his Kung Fu it's amazing how much he has learned since starting 2.5 years ago.

PartyOfCuatro
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
At soccer practice I glance up at them every now and then but, for the most part I play in my phone or read.
I do pay attention at the games though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I've seen it. It's so sad.

My child will never have to compete with my phone. Ever.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)