Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Are you present when...

Posted by   + Show Post

You are at your children's lessons? I mean not just physically being there, but actually watching your children.

I was watching my 4 year old in his karate class tonight and as I looked around I noticed that of the 8 other parents that were there....I was the only one paying attention to what the kids were doing.  EVERYother parent was playing on their cell phone nearly the whole time. I know there are always exceptions for needing to use your phone...but I think barring anything major that the parents attention should be on their child.

Thoughts?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
mamom01
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I'm guilty of doing this in my dd's karate class.  I stopped watching her intently because she would do something and then look to me for a thumbs up or a smile.  Not that I don't want to praise her when she does well, but she would completely lose her focus (one of the main reasons we have her in karate to begin with).  I think she's also a little more relaxed this way...she does her thing and I do mine.  Now...private lessons (she competes) and belt exams are a different story. 

1plustwinsmommy
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM
My 3 dd dance classes are not for parents to watch. They have a window that I can peek through which I do often, but I don't stand there the whole time especially since other parents are trying to watch as well. They have observation classes 4 times a year and there is no way I'd make my girls compete with my cell phone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I'm always there and if I'm not actively involved, I'm actively watching.  I like to converse with my children later and be able to offer advice or congratulate them on this or that.  I have noticed it seems to build their confidence and bring us closer knowing that I am interested in knowing more about their own interest.

I have noticed that a lot of parents tend to drop off their kids and go and many of those that choose to be present aren't actively watching or encouraging their children.  Although I'm not like this, I also know that every parent is different and it doesn't mean they love their child any more or less than I do mine.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Yes I do. I used to have to entertain my little ones but now they are older and can watch with me or entertain themselves during the practice/ game.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chymerra
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I'm there for every single lesson. I either talk to other parents or I am reading my Kindle while keeping an eye out on her. If she does something great (like doing a spin or skating backwards without skating into someone/falling over herself, she gets a thumbs up from me). 

SuperPickle
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

all 3 of my boys are in taekwon do, I dont get to go all the time so when I am there I am watching the kids....or DH, he looks hot in his dobok LOL....(he volunteers in the kids class)

Happy Halloween!

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Not usually. I am with my kids all day every day with very few exceptions. If I have a moment of peace I take advantage of it. :)

LaughingTattoo
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

No, I have things I need to do when they are in class. I watch here and there but they get destracted with me watching closely and I get aggravated when I see one of them not listening....its best if I just keep to myself

mhaney03
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I am IN their taekwondo class so yeah, LOL.  I'm always correcting their moves because I am closer to them than the instructors.

thecoffeefairy
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I allow my kids the freedom to do things without me hovering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN