Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Are you present when...

Posted by   + Show Post

You are at your children's lessons? I mean not just physically being there, but actually watching your children.

I was watching my 4 year old in his karate class tonight and as I looked around I noticed that of the 8 other parents that were there....I was the only one paying attention to what the kids were doing.  EVERYother parent was playing on their cell phone nearly the whole time. I know there are always exceptions for needing to use your phone...but I think barring anything major that the parents attention should be on their child.

Thoughts?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM
3 moms liked this
Nope. But I'm one who doesn't believe that kids need attention 24/7. I think that new trend is the reason there are so many kids these days who aren't capable of entertaining themselves. I'm a SAHM. My son gets plenty of time with me but I am not focused on him every minute of every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endlesslaundry
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It depends. We go to martial arts five days a week. I can't watch a room with 20 five year olds kicking the air for an hour five times a week. I would be lying if I said I don't find myself playing on my phone. I do agree though that it is sick and disgusting how often I look around and parents aren't in the moment with their kids because they are playing on their phones. I would never sit on my phone during a soccer game or a belt test at martial arts. I am most annoyed whenever we go out to eat and the parents are on their phones or ipads and the kids are on their video games or their phones. They can't even get through a meal without teching out. It's sad.

Kris0806
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I don't by any means think that a parent needs to hover.  When we are at home or at the park...my kids have the freedom to play and I don't feel bad looking on my phone or reading or whatever....but I was talking specifially of watching during a lesson where these kids are trying to learn new things and are proud of their achievements.  

The kids in this class are 3 and 4 years old.  It's 30 minutes twice per week.  I chat with other parents and my older son while I am there.  I don't, however, feel ok about spending that 30 minutes only looking at my phone. 

Every parent has their own parenting styles and that's fine...better than fine.  This just happens to be mine.

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I allow my kids the freedom to do things without me hovering.

thecoffeefairy
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM
My kids are 16,14 and 13. They just come to me when they want me to see their achievements. When they were little I was more involved. I let them lead as to how much. My son hated me being there while he was learning something. My oldest wanted me around every moment and my middle wanted her dad.

Quoting Kris0806:

I don't by any means think that a parent needs to hover.  When we are at home or at the park...my kids have the freedom to play and I don't feel bad looking on my phone or reading or whatever....but I was talking specifially of watching during a lesson where these kids are trying to learn new things and are proud of their achievements.  

The kids in this class are 3 and 4 years old.  It's 30 minutes twice per week.  I chat with other parents and my older son while I am there.  I don't, however, feel ok about spending that 30 minutes only looking at my phone. 

Every parent has their own parenting styles and that's fine...better than fine.  This just happens to be mine.

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I allow my kids the freedom to do things without me hovering.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mushmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM

When my daughter is in dance, we're in another room.  We can look through a one way mirror/window and if I can comfortably I do part of the time but not the whole time.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I will either bring a book if they leave me in a waiting room or something but most of the time I am watching because he has to practice at home and I want to make sure I notice that he is getting his form right. I blame it on the fact that I was raised in a martial arts home.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Depends. When my son (10y/o) is at football practice I stay at practice on the sidelines but usually talk to other parents as I watch him on the field. Sometimes when they rotate through drills he is too far away for me to watch so I wait until he comes in closer to where we are.

It's the same with basketball~ I watch but also chat with other parents.

I'm not a big cell phone person but I have brought a book/magazine along to practices.

e-doolittle
by Kelly on Nov. 16, 2012 at 7:06 PM
This

Quoting jenuresti5:

I had my girls in dance and gymnastics and would watch them but i would also do other things because if they saw me watching too closely they would get distracted.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Alaina on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Yes. When I take dd to her dance lessons, I sit and watch her classes.  I love watching my daughter dance.  I am the same way when my kids are playing soccer. I sit and watch, and cheer them on.   I see so many parents chatting away on their phones, or reading something on their e readers. I have even seen jerks playing games on their phones or reading books and magazines during school plays, and dance recitals.  I personally think it is rude.  Even if my kid isn't on stage performing at that exact moment, I will pay attention to what is going on on the stage.

hollieh79
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I am a SAHM but I still watch them during their lessons. I am a sap though and know my time with them at this age is short
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)