Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you present when...

Posted by   + Show Post

You are at your children's lessons? I mean not just physically being there, but actually watching your children.

I was watching my 4 year old in his karate class tonight and as I looked around I noticed that of the 8 other parents that were there....I was the only one paying attention to what the kids were doing.  EVERYother parent was playing on their cell phone nearly the whole time. I know there are always exceptions for needing to use your phone...but I think barring anything major that the parents attention should be on their child.

Thoughts?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I use his lessons and practices as a sort of mini break. I read a book or do some paperwork. Having me watch him makes him want to ham it up, and I want him paying attention to the teacher.

lilcaesarsmama
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM
some of us are better at parenting than others. consider yourself an amazing parent! your precious children are blessed.
ardiaxe
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I'm way too in love with everything my kids do, I cannot imagine my eyes anywhere else but on them.  

MamaSince2005
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM

the only thing my dd is involved in is girl scouts. i go to every meeting and i do pay attention. some moms are completely engrossed in their ipads or whatever. i always keep an eye on my kids

annelauer
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Our daughter dances 20 hours per week.  I watch a lot, but not every minute.  I am also president of the booster club for her team, so I spend a lot of time chatting with people about booster stuff.  I do not spend time on my phone though.  And unlike a lot of other moms, I do not leave the studio.  I don't see anything wrong with it though.

Shaybay218
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I so agree with you...that's how it is at my niece basketball practices...

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:40 AM
When they were taking horseback riding lessons, I watched but dance or swimming, I did not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:45 AM

She's two and it's a mommy and me class.  I think I am more present than she is sometimes.

I think playing on your phone a bit is fine.  Sucked into it every week...no, but I won't pass judgement with occasional use.

virgochild79
by Nia on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:03 AM

While at my daughters piano lessons, I usually have my phone up because I'm constantly taking pictures of her learning. At my sons practice, I'm the team mom so I am either talking to parents, spraying bug spray on the boys or cheering for them as if it was a game going on lol. When my daughter was taking karate, I would be on my phone or reading a magazine because they practiced where we couldn't see them. You have to at least give parents credit for keeping their kids active and taking them to their activities instead of just keeping them home not doing anything but watching TV, even if the parents are on their cells, at least they are there.

momma2b2008
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM
I'm there at practices and i watch her but my daughter does gymnastics so I can't help her outside of the gym. I also talk to the other parents and chase after my 12 month old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)