Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Are you present when...

Posted by   + Show Post

You are at your children's lessons? I mean not just physically being there, but actually watching your children.

I was watching my 4 year old in his karate class tonight and as I looked around I noticed that of the 8 other parents that were there....I was the only one paying attention to what the kids were doing.  EVERYother parent was playing on their cell phone nearly the whole time. I know there are always exceptions for needing to use your phone...but I think barring anything major that the parents attention should be on their child.

Thoughts?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Replies (41-50):
smushy79
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Sometimes... I won't lie!! I could do better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

well, i think it may be kinda of presumptuous for you to think they are not paying attention.. i am sure some may not be others may be multitasking while other share doing the best they can with what they have to work with... i am a mom to six great kids and there were and are many times i can not be at what ever function there may be for many different reasons.. it doesn't make me any less of a mom then anyone that is at every function for their kid (s) i think it can be a bit self righteous to assume that of others... 

also everyone has their own way of doing things i don't feel its necessary to pick out what ppl are doing and what they are not.. obviously if your paying attention to what they were doing you were not paying full attention on your kid (s) just saying!!

ChancesMommy07
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM
This literally made me lol. The idea that others aren't good parents just because their eyes aren't on their kids 24/7 is hilarious. Sanctimommy at its finest.

Quoting lilcaesarsmama:

some of us are better at parenting than others. consider yourself an amazing parent! your precious children are blessed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris0806
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Ummmm..If you actually read this thread you should have noticed I never once said anyone was less of a parent. I actually specifically said that I think it's great that everyone has different parenting styles.  I did say that I think they could've waited the 30 minutes to play on their phones.  That is my opinion on ONE particular thing...NOT If they are a good parent or not.  I've got 4 kids....I know it's hard.

Thanks though....

Quoting sunflowers12:

well, i think it may be kinda of presumptuous for you to think they are not paying attention.. i am sure some may not be others may be multitasking while other share doing the best they can with what they have to work with... i am a mom to six great kids and there were and are many times i can not be at what ever function there may be for many different reasons.. it doesn't make me any less of a mom then anyone that is at every function for their kid (s) i think it can be a bit self righteous to assume that of others... 

also everyone has their own way of doing things i don't feel its necessary to pick out what ppl are doing and what they are not.. obviously if your paying attention to what they were doing you were not paying full attention on your kid (s) just saying!!

chinosruca
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM
My daughters only activity is surfing. I have a 2 year old to watch when we go to the beach. I rarely have the chance to pay attention. My husband surfs with her (or her surf ohana [family] if her dad goes out to a deeper area that she can't go to). The surfers watch out for each other and treat each other like family. I can pay much needed attention to my 2 year old without concern.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilcaesarsmama
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM
lol!!!
CafeMom Tickers
lilcaesarsmama
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

This literally made me lol. The idea that others aren't good parents just because their eyes aren't on their kids 24/7 is hilarious. Sanctimommy at its finest.

Quoting lilcaesarsmama:

some of us are better at parenting than others. consider yourself an amazing parent! your precious children are blessed.

lol!!!
CafeMom Tickers
signingmama2915
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

depends on what it is and if I have my younger boy with me.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Yes.  I will take pictures and send them to people, but I am paying attention to him and what is going on.

Moogie1005
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM
When ods was in football/baseball, I was there all practice, every practice, unless there were odd circumstances. Occasionally I would go get other kids or worked in the concession stand. My younger children aren't in these kinds of activities yet. When the time comes, I will be there for them just like I was for big brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN