Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

How to be at 3 places in one day

Posted by   + Show Post

Thanksgiving...a time where everyone wants you at their house, and gets their feelings hurt if you don't.  My parents are divorced.  My dad lives about an hour and a half away from me.  My mom wants to do lunch at her house at 11.  DH's mom wants to do dinner at her house at 5.  My dad's family has planned lunch at my grandfather's house at noon.  What do I do?  I don't want to hurt feelings, but someone's feelings will be hurt if I don't go to their house.  Any suggestions? 

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Replies (11-15):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Dealing with family wanting us in multiple places is what stared me hosting....they could come to my house, or visit us some other day.  Before we had a large enough home to host...we did alternate years with each side of the family.....I refused to EVER go to more than one place on Thanksgiving day.

orcadarwin
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

We do it every year.  We go to lunch at my husband's grandparents out in the country.  Then we go to dinner at my parents around 4, then around 7 go to dinner at his parents, for his dad's side of the family.  

This year, though, I convinced my mom to have my family dinner on Friday, instead of Thursday.  

lexipooh78
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM

This is the nightmare that is holidays with my family anymore. My Mom has two brothers, both of which are divorced and trying to arrange everyone schedule so everyone can be there at the same time has become impossible. My husbands family lives 4 hours away so we rarely ever go there. Plus he is not big on family.  My Dad's side hasn't invited me to theirs in years because I never could work it out to be there.  That just leaves my Moms side. They have it about 20mins away from me. DH hates going so instead of fightnig with him about it I usually go out there for a bit and let my DS spend the day there. I either drop him off and visit for a bit or he stays the night before and I pick him up and have desert.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

We go through the exact same thing! Every freakin holiday. 

We do my mom's first. Because it's boring so we like to get it out of the way. Then we go to FIL's because it's furthest out of the way. We never eat there, we only really go to show ourselves. Then we spend the rest of the night at MIL's until it's time to go get our tree. This year we will do Thanksgiving at SIL's so we are just going to have to use our fake tree.

LittleMama2012
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Rotate years or do what I do. I cook on Thanksgiving at my house. Whoever wants to come can. The Saturday after, Dh family does their thing. This year I have to work so I am cooking Friday.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)