Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Wow, just wow

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM
  • 21 Replies

Somebody I know posted this on facebook

Ok, first of all no child deserves to be abused no matter what their behavior is.  I mean, really, abuse???  

Secondly unless they know what else is going on with this kid (autism, sensory processing disorder, adhd, etc) and know the circumstances behind this who are they to call a kid a spoiled brat?

This whole thing is just wrong.

What do you think?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mushmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM
3 moms liked this

He looks just right for tantrum age.  That would happen regardless of whether he was spanked or not.  Gesh.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

That was pretty much DD and I this morning.

Really...do people think that kids do not throw tantrums EVER?!   Most kids, at certain ages, throw tantrums and it's natural - it's not always because they were not disciplined or because they have a disorder or something - it's BECAUSE they are kids.  Not every day is a walk in the park and not every day is a red letter good behavior day.  I discipline my child all the time, but she is 2 and at that age where tantrums can occur over anything.  People need to be realistic and get their heads out of their asses.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Yeah, people can be really weird about how they feel. I find it ridiculous. I had one guy tell me to take my son out of a grocery store because his tantrums were making him feel uncomfortable. I told him if he wanted to see a well rounded boy then he needed to learn that a tantrum was not acceptable in a grocery store. He was throwing one because he wanted to leave. He never liked going grocery shopping. I also told him that the exit is that way if it is making him uncomfortable that one of us was going to have to leave and it wasn't me. So suck it up or leave. Man did he turn beat red. 

susie3g
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
You're right. Abuse is never a good thing and is something that no child should have to experience. I think the picture is attempting to make a point that what some consider abuse others consider to be a good old-fashioned spanking.
Personally, I've dealt with only one temper tantrum in my life. It happened at home, and I simply walked out of the room as if it didn't phase me in the least. He never did it again and I can only assume that it's because he didn't get the attention he so desperately wanted. Perhaps I was just a lucky mom. I don't know. But I kind of agree with the pic to a certain extent. Responding to the tantrums creates spoiled brats. I know many will disagree with me probably. That's ok, though. I'm not seeking approval.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM

My 2 1/2 year old threw a tantrum for the exact same reason the other day.  I had 2 older ladies stop me and tell me that it's so nice to see someone actually disciplining their child and then 1 younger one stop and tell me that the only way to handle tantrums is to take them home.  No way!  First of all that's exactly what she wanted.  Second of all I may be a mom but I have other responsibilities too.  I was there to grab ice cream for our church's kids club that night.  I can't back out of my responsibilities and give in to my child's desires.  Plus I had a ton of responsibilities at church after the grocery store.  What would it teach my kids if I just backed out and went home because she wanted to?

My kids never get taken home if they throw a tantrum.  Most grocery stores are over an hour away from home.  I can't just come back another day!

This was the first time she has ever thrown a tantrum in public.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Yeah, people can be really weird about how they feel. I find it ridiculous. I had one guy tell me to take my son out of a grocery store because his tantrums were making him feel uncomfortable. I told him if he wanted to see a well rounded boy then he needed to learn that a tantrum was not acceptable in a grocery store. He was throwing one because he wanted to leave. He never liked going grocery shopping. I also told him that the exit is that way if it is making him uncomfortable that one of us was going to have to leave and it wasn't me. So suck it up or leave. Man did he turn beat red. 

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I'm with you. That and I don't get to excited about things I see on FB. 

Quoting susie3g:

You're right. Abuse is never a good thing and is something that no child should have to experience. I think the picture is attempting to make a point that what some consider abuse others consider to be a good old-fashioned spanking.
Personally, I've dealt with only one temper tantrum in my life. It happened at home, and I simply walked out of the room as if it didn't phase me in the least. He never did it again and I can only assume that it's because he didn't get the attention he so desperately wanted. Perhaps I was just a lucky mom. I don't know. But I kind of agree with the pic to a certain extent. Responding to the tantrums creates spoiled brats. I know many will disagree with me probably. That's ok, though. I'm not seeking approval.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Exactly! My son threw a tantrum once at the mall and I finally got tired of it and put him in the corner. The mall was busy and the younger people were gasping like I was bothering them and I just winked at them as I had a raging toddler behind me trying to get out of the corner. The older parents were high fiving me and telling me they support me. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

My 2 1/2 year old threw a tantrum for the exact same reason the other day.  I had 2 older ladies stop me and tell me that it's so nice to see someone actually disciplining their child and then 1 younger one stop and tell me that the only way to handle tantrums is to take them home.  No way!  First of all that's exactly what she wanted.  Second of all I may be a mom but I have other responsibilities too.  I was there to grab ice cream for our church's kids club that night.  I can't back out of my responsibilities and give in to my child's desires.  Plus I had a ton of responsibilities at church after the grocery store.  What would it teach my kids if I just backed out and went home because she wanted to?

My kids never get taken home if they throw a tantrum.  Most grocery stores are over an hour away from home.  I can't just come back another day!

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Babytazmama
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM
This looks like both of my boys. I have to almost wrestle them to put on their clothes .
CafeMom Tickers
susie3g
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Yeah, I don't put much stock into what I see on Facebook, either. I see all kinds of racism and bigoted thinking. I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I'm with you. That and I don't get to excited about things I see on FB. 

Quoting susie3g:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I once had a lady tell me my son should be taken away from me and she was going to call CPS because I was hurting my son's self esteem by letting him throw a tantrum in the cart instead of holding him.  Umm... he decided he wanted to knock all of the paints off of the shelf and when I picked him up (he was 2) to tell him no he went into a rage and started hit and scream at me.  I was afraid I was going to drop him so I put him in the cart where he would be safe and picked up the paints he had managed to knock down.  There's no way I was going to hold him and coddle him while he threw a tantrum because he didn't get his way.

This was before I knew about his sensory processing disorder.  He still throws tantrums when he gets overwhelmed.  They also believe he has damage to certain areas of his brain so he just can't function like an average kid.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Exactly! My son threw a tantrum once at the mall and I finally got tired of it and put him in the corner. The mall was busy and the younger people were gasping like I was bothering them and I just winked at them as I had a raging toddler behind me trying to get out of the corner. The older parents were high fiving me and telling me they support me. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)