Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

my kid

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am a mother in need of help. I have a 14 year old daughter that I suspect may have some form of the autism spectrum, but am not sure. She was diagnosed with Epilepsy 4 years ago and I was told she had been having them since 5. However, this was just the beginning of unanswered questions. I will try my best to explain a little bit of why I believe there is more than just Epilepsy. For one my daughter has never had any friends. She says people call her weird. She does not look people in the face and when she does her eyes go straight up with no eye contact. She has an issue where when she gets on one thing she can not get off of that item, subject, or whatever it may be, until she feels that it is complete, finished, or some how satisfied. Example being...Her biggest thing is food....She had to have a certain food everyday or she would cry, pitch a fit, feel almost like she ws going to die if she didn't have it. Not to mention the 100 times a day she reminded me to get it until she got it. When she speaks to people she is always right and everyone else is wrong. She will try convincing you she is right until you give up and say ok you are right, even when she is not. She feels everybody is mean, they hate her, or have some vendetta against her. She does not like to be touched by anyone only when she wants to be touched (As a mom I would just love to hug or kiss her when I wanted to, but can't)

These are just a few things. PLEASE someone help me. I want my daughter to have a normal (or the best she can) life.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsblissmas
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Some of those things sound like it could be autism but at the same time I really don't know. Have you taken her to the doctor to get advice? Good luck to you!

mamom01
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:21 PM

You'll probably get lots of differing opinions on this.  Honestly, the best place to start is with her Dr. and go from there. 

zumbafreak11
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

It sounds like normal teen behavior to have to always be right, not want hugs and kisses especially from mom and think that everyone hates her and thinks she's weird.  I don't know what to think about the not having eye contact when someone's talking.  I don't know anything about autism except that one of my cousin's kids has it and at 4 doesn't say much of anything - his 2 year old sister's developmentally on target.  Hopefully, someone with experience with teens can help you out and offer some advice.  My only child's 7.

LeBrae27
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I do appreciate your thoughts. I know some of it sounds like a normal teen, but hers is some how different. As a mom you know how you just know something isn't right? That is how I feel in the pit of my stomach. Thanks again for your thoughts.

LeBrae27
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I do know and we go to her dr tomorrow. It is just so hard to explain the things she does to someone. I hope I get a grip on it and it comes across the way it should. Thank you and I appreciate any opinion that anyone has to offer.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for posting that link to the group!  :)

Quoting itsblissmas:

Some of those things sound like it could be autism but at the same time I really don't know. Have you taken her to the doctor to get advice? Good luck to you!

monkeymom1104
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Im glad your seeing a Doctor. It does sound like She may fall somewhere on the spectrum. And with some OCD undertones .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsblissmas
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

You're welcome! :o)

Quoting KylesMom409:

Thanks for posting that link to the group!  :)

Quoting itsblissmas:

tiredmomma35
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Oh wow, God bless you momma. I've been having problems with my six year old daughter, she doesn't have epilepsy, but she has issues. She doesn't like going upstairs by herself, she won't stay in her own bed at night, she comes down to mine and husband's room to sleep on the cold floor. She went stop playing with her bottom. She constantly wines and has fits. She feels the need to constantly have food filling her mouth every minute, and she doesn't, she let's us know about it. She won't listen or do as she is told. We try to play a game with her, when she wants to play a game, but she won't pay attention, or sit still and we end up yelling. Now lately she is having Pajama issues, she says they make her itch. I'm not sure what to do myself, besides pray.
ardiaxe
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Look up "The Highly Sensitive Child" it's a book, but there are a few articles on it, and a checklist of traits that a highly sensitive child has, good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN