Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've decided I want another child.......

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

It probably wont be able to happen for about another year or two.  But here's my delima, I'll be 35 in 2 months and i'm a little scared if i wait another 2 years that i might be pushing it into the high risk factor.  Did any of you ladies have babies after 35?  were there any complications?  How old were your other children at that time?  do you have any suggestions for me?  My DD is turning 6 on Feb 1st.  Do you think that's to much time in between children?

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raeann11
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I did lots of research and the number really don't go up at all or that much at all(sorry forgot about this last bit. I wanted to make sure I got it in here). Fact they are basing 35 as risk from many years ago. Things have changed and I think they do a lot of it to have control.

I had my third at 36 and had one of my best pregnancy's. I had a 6 year old and 3 year old.  We are currently trying to conceive and I am 38 years old.

Complications can come at any time and any age. Eat right and exersice. Do your research.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I am hoping DH changes his mind about wanting just one. Kyle is 5 and a half and I will be 36 in 2 weeks so I'll let you know if I am successful in convincing DH! LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

well, we are all different but high risk really takes place in the 30s so i have come to understand, thing is just have to understand the risk factors i think one of the issues being the the down syndrome issues increases in the older mother and if it runs in the fam, mother's are typically the carrier of the syndrome.. if both parents have the gene for it its still more likely to come from mom then dad.. age only increases these chances.. the thing i ask my self is how fair is it to bring another life in the world and what would the quality of life be if its compromised?? also this is just one of many syndromes and issues that can come from having a child at an older age... so really do your research..

now i have six kids and for me that could be easily said because i have so many but i knew for a fact that after my 20s were over i would not have another child due to the fact the risks for a healthy child change so dramatically.. these are the things i think all of us need to consider when making the decision to bring another life into the already crazy world... good luck good luck

mushmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my 2nd at 36.  My first at 34.  I ended up having cs and with my 2nd I had to be on progesterone.  You can look up the stats on March of Dimes.  You don't all of a sudden have huge risk factors...it's gradual with each year and if I remember correctly even at 40 the risk for ds is only 4%.  I would meet with your ob/gyn for a preconception appointment if you have concerns.

ambertreas76
by Amber on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm trying for #3... I've been trying for 2 years... And I turned 36 in August.  The risks are lower than youl think.

As far as your daughter being 6... think of it this way... you could have a really great helper!!!

lilmsnay83
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 4 years old and I want another baby as well.  The problem is Im a single mother of 1 and do not want to be a single mother of 2.  So Im just waiting.....

mommybug77
by Crystal on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest is 13, baby will be 2 in march. There are 2 in between them. We'd love another one but I'm done at 35.
chinosruca
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I know lots of women who jad very succesful & healthy pregnancies in their late 30's and early 40's. I am 35 & plan on one more (gonna start trying at 36). We have a large age gap amongst our kids, but don't mind. (SD 18, SD 16, DD 9, DD 2)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mushmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I wanted to add to if I were just almost 35, I'd definately be ttc!  I'm even considering it now at almost 39.

spizzarks1978
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Thank you ladies for all your great advice :) I'm pretty sure my mind is made up. I will be talking to by OB about it before I start trying. I have 2 siblings and 3 step sibling and many nieces and nephews, I want my DD to have the same. She asks for a little SIS or bro all the time. I know she would be a big big
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)