Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Just Curious

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM
  • 20 Replies
3 moms liked this
I am by no means perfect or have a ton of money or judge anyone who gets govt assistance. But am I wrong to feel a little peeved when you are out to eat at your local pub and see a guy joking with the bar tender about using his purple card (link card) to pay for his 200 booze bill. If he wants to use that its his choice... but what bothers me is he is blowing that money the govt gives him and my husband and I are drowning in Dr bills BC of my daughter being diagnosed with epilepsy and I get denied help BC my income is just a little over the requirements. Am I wrong to be bothered a little oh and please be nice with your replies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I don't think you can buy alcohol with the cards. If you can, no you are not wrong to be upset!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Can you buy alcohol with PA? I thought it was just for food and only at grocery stores. I didn't know you could use them at resturants. 

mommybug77
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM
3 moms liked this
No comment since it won't be nice :-)
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM
I'm usually the one who says don't judge because you don't know the situation. Like when a woman is paying for food with an iPhone and designer purse (could be a foster mom Ect)
But ya I have no comment also because it probably wouldn't be nice. (towards the man, not you)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mushmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I agree.

Kozon2011
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I am sure you can't pay for the bill with that but he sure can probably go to an atm and take the cash out which would be like the same thing! I do not judge anyone for their financial lifestyle because trust me with my first kid I was on public aid and in illinois and I had the link card but I never took advantage of it at all I only used it in an absolute emergency!  He just thought it was the greatest thing to have "free" money to blow!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I think entitlement programs need a huge overhaul. That's all I'm going to say about that :)

QTMom2302
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting mommybug77:

No comment since it won't be nice :-)

:o)

sunflowers12
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

no, your are not wrong.. and i to have had to be on assistance before many times.. its not the best but its better then doing nothing.. i think the states realize there are issues with this type of behavior with many that are currently on assistance... in addition many of the are doing or taking steps to kinda fix these types of problems.. such as having the ppl who are asking for help to take drug test and other sorts of things like that.. i have also heard not sure how true it is but that the moneys that have been in the past handled by the applicant will now be automatically be sent to or for rent/electric bill ect... which really should have been all this time... but live n learn.. and so sorry to hear about your little dd sure hope she is doing well... 

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

My guess is he was paying with some sort of assistance such as disability or unemployment. Still nothing to brag about, but at the same time, that would be assistance that he earned or is more than entitled to if it was disability. The only other cash that is on a pa card would be temporary cash, or child support. I don't really care how someone chooses to spend their benefits, but I'd have to question the mentality of someone, especially a guy, who would not be embarrassed to brag about being on assistance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)