Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

We are moving to the montains! I need tips...

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM
  • 25 Replies

It will snow, we only lived in snow once for a year, and it was not enough to require chains, or it did and we did not get them, lol.

What should I know about living where it snow, right now we live where it's just hot 300 days and then cold. lol

So PLEASE give me tips, what about a garden, are there things I should know about that?

~DIana.

Oh So Blessed! Loven Christ and Proud! 

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tifferie
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Mountains*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting tifferie:

Mountains*

haha typo queen!

tifferie
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Sorry I am a spelling nazi.

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting tifferie:

Mountains*

haha typo queen!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SwtSnowflake2
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM
How far north? I grew up in Wyoming and we just used snow tired. I think we rarely used chains. The streets would be plowed. Get warm clothes. We would go to school and the snow would be to my waist. My mom had a small garden but I really don't remember the upkeep.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IQuitCounting
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

When it comes to chains or snow tires, if you live in a city that plows it's streets, they're usually not needed.  AND thy're bad for the streets if they are paved.  They break them down.  Having them in the car so if you need them, if you get stuck somewhere, is good and any tire store can help you find what suits you best.

General advice, layer clothing, always.  Going from the home to the car to the store to the car to the next store, etc, in and out and what not, if you can't remove a few layers you'll work up a sweat, then you'll get really cold.  This is especially important for the little ones.  Mittens are a MUST, so is a hat or ear warmers and good warm, warter proof shoes.  Those three areas are the most likely to end up with frost bite, which can happen way quicker than most realize.

Snow days are rarely going to happen.  It'll take an ice storm to close the schools, or actual power outages, things like that.  Otherwise, school is in.

Invest in board games, books, art supplies, because unless you're really in to snow sports and have the money to support the interest, you're going to be inside a lot.  Game systems like the Wii are great because at least they're a little more active.  If you're involved with a church, seek that out quickly, that will also give you activities and such to do.  Also, make sure to put together an emergency preparedness kit with food and water, flash lights, batteries, etc.  You can google for lists of recommendations on that.  If the power goes out you must be prepared for longer waits since deep snow can prevent crews from getting to things easily.

As for a garden, the local nurserys are going to be your best help.  They'll let you know what kind of plants and flowers survive the best and how to winterize your garden.  We use to cover ours up with leaves in the fall to help insulate them against the cold (we lived in CDA, ID for 8 years).  You can also use straw/hay.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:39 AM
So am I! It drives me crazy to see typos and grammatical errors! LOL

Quoting tifferie:

Sorry I am a spelling nazi.

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting tifferie:

Mountains*

haha typo queen!

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:39 AM
Awesome advice!

Quoting IQuitCounting:

When it comes to chains or snow tires, if you live in a city that paves it's streets, they're usually not needed.  AND thy're bad for the streets if they are paved.  They break them down.  Having them in the car so if you need them, if you get stuck somewhere, is good and any tire store can help you find what suits you best.

General advice, layer clothing, always.  Going from the home to the car to the store to the car to the next store, etc, in and out and what not, if you can't remove a few layers you'll work up a sweat, then you'll get really cold.  This is especially important for the little ones.  Mittens are a MUST, so is a hat or ear warmers and good warm, warter proof shoes.  Those three areas are the most likely to end up with frost bite, which can happen way quicker than most realize.

Snow days are rarely going to happen.  It'll take an ice storm to close the schools, or actual power outages, things like that.  Otherwise, school is in.

Invest in board games, books, art supplies, because unless you're really in to snow sports and have the money to support the interest, you're going to be inside a lot.  Game systems like the Wii are great because at least they're a little more active.  If you're involved with a church, seek that out quickly, that will also give you activities and such to do.  Also, make sure to put together an emergency preparedness kit with food and water, flash lights, batteries, etc.  You can google for lists of recommendations on that.  If the power goes out you must be prepared for longer waits since deep snow can prevent crews from getting to things easily.

As for a garden, the local nurserys are going to be your best help.  They'll let you know what kind of plants and flowers survive the best and how to winterize your garden.  We use to cover ours up with leaves in the fall to help insulate them against the cold (we lived in CDA, ID for 8 years).  You can also use straw/hay.

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:37 AM
I live in Michigan and snow chains are illegal. Winterize your car. Invest in good tires, keep salt or kitty litter in your trunk, and make sure that you get your car checked prior to the cold weather months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Great advice.

When it comes to chains or snow tires, if you live in a city that plows it's streets, they're usually not needed.  AND thy're bad for the streets if they are paved.  They break them down.  Having them in the car so if you need them, if you get stuck somewhere, is good and any tire store can help you find what suits you best.

sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Really good advice, THANKS! =-)

Quoting IQuitCounting:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)