Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are moving to the montains! I need tips...

Posted by   + Show Post

It will snow, we only lived in snow once for a year, and it was not enough to require chains, or it did and we did not get them, lol.

What should I know about living where it snow, right now we live where it's just hot 300 days and then cold. lol

So PLEASE give me tips, what about a garden, are there things I should know about that?

~DIana.

Oh So Blessed! Loven Christ and Proud! 

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM

we are west, it will not be as cold as north. just high elevation, and much coldr than we are use to.

Quoting SwtSnowflake2:

How far north? I grew up in Wyoming and we just used snow tired. I think we rarely used chains. The streets would be plowed. Get warm clothes. We would go to school and the snow would be to my waist. My mom had a small garden but I really don't remember the upkeep.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Unless you are in California. Here you have to use snow tires on a 4 wheel drive or tire chains or you will slide all over even plowed roads. And they put up signs saying they are required when it is snowing.
other than that I cant tell you because I don't live in the snow but my parents have a cabin up there so we go often.

Quoting IQuitCounting:

When it comes to chains or snow tires, if you live in a city that plows it's streets, they're usually not needed.  AND thy're bad for the streets if they are paved.  They break them down.  Having them in the car so if you need them, if you get stuck somewhere, is good and any tire store can help you find what suits you best.

General advice, layer clothing, always.  Going from the home to the car to the store to the car to the next store, etc, in and out and what not, if you can't remove a few layers you'll work up a sweat, then you'll get really cold.  This is especially important for the little ones.  Mittens are a MUST, so is a hat or ear warmers and good warm, warter proof shoes.  Those three areas are the most likely to end up with frost bite, which can happen way quicker than most realize.

Snow days are rarely going to happen.  It'll take an ice storm to close the schools, or actual power outages, things like that.  Otherwise, school is in.

Invest in board games, books, art supplies, because unless you're really in to snow sports and have the money to support the interest, you're going to be inside a lot.  Game systems like the Wii are great because at least they're a little more active.  If you're involved with a church, seek that out quickly, that will also give you activities and such to do.  Also, make sure to put together an emergency preparedness kit with food and water, flash lights, batteries, etc.  You can google for lists of recommendations on that.  If the power goes out you must be prepared for longer waits since deep snow can prevent crews from getting to things easily.

As for a garden, the local nurserys are going to be your best help.  They'll let you know what kind of plants and flowers survive the best and how to winterize your garden.  We use to cover ours up with leaves in the fall to help insulate them against the cold (we lived in CDA, ID for 8 years).  You can also use straw/hay.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessica1078
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I lived in snow country for years, heres a few tips that helped us- check online to see if the area has a news site even some of the smallest communities have them. it's a great source for info- ours has a gardening column and archives. and please never forget that even though a vehicle may be 4 wheel drive, carry chains, watch your speed, keep a very safe distance from other cars. take care stay warm!!!- oh studded tires are amazing lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:39 PM

thanks! I have never heard of studded tires, googling now. :-)

Quoting jessica1078:

I lived in snow country for years, heres a few tips that helped us- check online to see if the area has a news site even some of the smallest communities have them. it's a great source for info- ours has a gardening column and archives. and please never forget that even though a vehicle may be 4 wheel drive, carry chains, watch your speed, keep a very safe distance from other cars. take care stay warm!!!- oh studded tires are amazing lol

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I grew up in Washington state. We either used studded tires or all weather tires. My parents both ended up upgrading to cars with 4wheel drive, also, because even though they plow (and do a much better job than places in the south), you get one good dump and you might be stuck for a day... also some roads aren't plowed.

Ditto the snow days thing. They are rare. (I always laugh when we have them down here in NC for a prediction of snow!)

Even if it is just colder and possibly isn't going to SNOW a ton, your kids will probably want insulated boots for playing outside. You might even want some, just for running around town.

Jeans are not terribly warm. Generally speaking. When I go home now (in winter), I like to wear knee highs under pants with boots like Uggs, or something else really cozy, with or without the snow.

All the rest of your questions you will actually figure out pretty quickly once you move. People will tell you everything you need to know and a bunch of stuff you probably don't care about!

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

thanks! and last comment was really funny!

Quoting clairewait:

I grew up in Washington state. We either used studded tires or all weather tires. My parents both ended up upgrading to cars with 4wheel drive, also, because even though they plow (and do a much better job than places in the south), you get one good dump and you might be stuck for a day... also some roads aren't plowed.

Ditto the snow days thing. They are rare. (I always laugh when we have them down here in NC for a prediction of snow!)

Even if it is just colder and possibly isn't going to SNOW a ton, your kids will probably want insulated boots for playing outside. You might even want some, just for running around town.

Jeans are not terribly warm. Generally speaking. When I go home now (in winter), I like to wear knee highs under pants with boots like Uggs, or something else really cozy, with or without the snow.

All the rest of your questions you will actually figure out pretty quickly once you move. People will tell you everything you need to know and a bunch of stuff you probably don't care about!

Kokoscold
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Alaska so having studded tires or all weather tires blizak (sp?) are a must. Keep extra blankets in your car in the winter in case you get stuck and need to stay warm also gloves, I also would recommend water and snacks too. Also tell friends and family when you're coming out or heading back into the mountains as car accidents happen and having a time frame of when you leave and when you should arrive is always safe. Snow days are rare so get use to driving in the snow. If you start sliding and can't stop throw your car a netural and pump your brakes.

Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

One watch out for people in SUV's who think their vehicle is invincible. They usually cause the accidents. 

Second check out your planting zone through this website for what plants can and cannot survive. http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

Always keep extra gloves because kids will always lose their gloves. Keep deicer on hand, the ice salts for the drive way and walk way, get a good snow shovel, and check to see if your filter is dirty. 

Above all else, you are NEVER to old to make a snow man. Have fun!

sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

whoa! Life saving information! thanks!

Quoting Kokoscold:

I live in Alaska so having studded tires or all weather tires blizak (sp?) are a must. Keep extra blankets in your car in the winter in case you get stuck and need to stay warm also gloves, I also would recommend water and snacks too. Also tell friends and family when you're coming out or heading back into the mountains as car accidents happen and having a time frame of when you leave and when you should arrive is always safe. Snow days are rare so get use to driving in the snow. If you start sliding and can't stop throw your car a netural and pump your brakes.

sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha, I will make one and post it! =-)

filters?

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

One watch out for people in SUV's who think their vehicle is invincible. They usually cause the accidents. 

Second check out your planting zone through this website for what plants can and cannot survive. http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

Always keep extra gloves because kids will always lose their gloves. Keep deicer on hand, the ice salts for the drive way and walk way, get a good snow shovel, and check to see if your filter is dirty. 

Above all else, you are NEVER to old to make a snow man. Have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)