Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I was trolling FB earlier and saw that my SIL had posted last night "I don't think I'll be doing store or cyber shopping at this rate. Been sick since Sunday. I can't keep anything down."  Now I love my SIL and her family dearly, but at the family gathering tomorrow is my 2 month old daughter and an aunt and uncle in poor health.  Not to mention my 3yo and her 2yo cousin, me who has been back to work one week off maternity leave, etc.  I texted her a little while ago to see how she was feeling and she said she had kept down chicken noodle soup so she planned to be there, but if the oldest (17) wasn't feeling better she would stay home.  That still leaves the 15 yo, 8 yo, and my dear BIL to bring theirso far symptomless germs into the house with the rest of us?!  What's your personal sick policy?  Do you call the hostess and ask?  Wait till you get there?  Just stay home?  It made me think of the time my DH ignorant friend brought his daughter to a gathering with my then 2 yo HOURS after she had been throwing up.  Seriously pissed that day.  In either case I don't think we should have to stay home, but at least give me the option by telling me ahead of time!

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Replies (11-17):
momma2b2008
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't really know. I've never ran into this situation. But I would say I would stay away for 24 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zumbafreak11
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM

We just stay home, but we'd call the host/hostess ahead of time to tell him/her that we couldn't make it because we're sick and we hope everyone has a great time.

ambermario4ever
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I go with the same as the schools here. No throwing up or fever for 24 hours before I go somewhere or take the kids somewhere. 

OregonMom80
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

My rule used to be 24 hours if someone sick would be there and if we were going.  I found out the hard way that it takes 48 hours for stomach flu.  It was going around at a relative's house and nobody had it since Thr night, so they came over Sat afternoon.  Sat night the dad, who hadn't had it yet, hit the 48 hour incubation period and came down with it.  Meanwhile he had been at our house and infected us all.  All 3 of us came down with it Sunday night.  It was terrible!

LilJenn82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

If me or any of my kids were sick then I would not go... I have 1 so called friend who always takes her kids everywhere while they are sick and it always gets on my nerves... I mean it's 1 thing to say "Hey wanna come over 2day?" "Well (so n so) is sick" It is 1 thing to let someone know that u or the kids are sick but its totally different when u just go around someone while u r sick n dont let them

Armygirl2299703
by Mel on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Personally if myself or my DD are sick I will call the hostess and apoligize but explain that we will have to miss the event because I do not want to spread our germs and possibly get other sick. I'd specially feel bad if there were people there with poor health already and they ended up with my cold/flu but that potentionally could land them in the hospital or something.

sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:00 AM
I try to build up their immune systems b4 we go if i can, but i dont take my children when they are sick, or im okay sickk, i feel its rude.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)