Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

so its cruel to make those in retail work thanksgiving

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM
  • 65 Replies
3 moms liked this
Isn't that the general consesus around here? So here's my question why doesn't anybody care that movie theatre workers have to work holidays as well? Can't people just go see movies another day so they can be with their families?
And before anybody says anything my hubby is on call for thanksgiving this year. He was last year too and ended up working so yes, I know what its like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smenjivar
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM
3 moms liked this
what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Exactly there are so many who work thanksgiving. We consider the fact hubby has a job something to be thankful for and just go with the flow. We knew when he took this job he might have to work on holidays.

Quoting smenjivar:

what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outtamymynd
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't know what they're crying about. At least they have a job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Not everyone celebrates the same holidays.  Maybe those who don't celebrate can volunteer to work for those who do.  I know many of my friends volunteer to work on Dec 25 because Christmas is not a holiday they celebrate....but often times, depending on your job, it can't be helped to work on one of your own holidays.  Especially with the American economy being as sucky as it is right now....I would just be happy to have a job -- it isn't like a family can't get together on a different day and have a huge Thanksgiving meal together.

2BBboys0509
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting outtamymynd:

I agree 100% I work in retail and new damn well I would have to work. Oh well,such is life. Get over it and just be thankful you have a job to bitch about. 

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:28 AM
Bump!
graycalico
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it's reasonable to expect to work holidays if you are in retail but I think it's also reasonable to keep Black Friday sales on Black Friday. The whole thing is gross to me.
Quinn525
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:29 AM
1 mom liked this
In hs I worked on a fruit and flower marker which was 20 years ago. I also worked in special needs group homes. In both places working the holiday hours were fought over for the extra pay. I even worked doubles on thankgiving and funded a very nice Xmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM
I used to work at a Veterinary hospital and we had to work holidays to take care of the boarded animals. I didn't mind because we were closed and hanging out with animals was fun. When I was hired I was told I would have to work holidays so it was no surprise. I do think retail stores should keep black Friday on Friday though. Next thing you know it's going to start on Wednesday. Other than that, I don't see a problem with working on Thursday. Don't like it, go work somewhere else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Who's crying? Surely not me. I work for a retailer that does NOT open on Thanksgiving, and am very thankful. Would I grumble if I had to work Thanksgiving? Maybe. But never cry. I work all holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't mind. Most people don't mind, as it is often overtime pay. Ours is better than overtime. We also get treated well by our management team. I know A LOT of people in retail...not just at my store. Most are happy to work. They do their celebrating earlier or later than their shift....or on the weekend. I don't see why some retailers even open as it is so slow that it costs too much to pay the electricity and the employees. There is little profit. But, any profit is acceptable at any cost to some. Even if it is minor. Anywho....it is 2am here.....and I must be off to bed.

Quoting 2BBboys0509:

Quoting outtamymynd:

I agree 100% I work in retail and new damn well I would have to work. Oh well,such is life. Get over it and just be thankful you have a job to bitch about. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)