Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

so its cruel to make those in retail work thanksgiving

Posted by   + Show Post
Isn't that the general consesus around here? So here's my question why doesn't anybody care that movie theatre workers have to work holidays as well? Can't people just go see movies another day so they can be with their families?
And before anybody says anything my hubby is on call for thanksgiving this year. He was last year too and ended up working so yes, I know what its like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
Adeline1210
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM

lol. Yes to all that.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

So hospitals should be closed on holidays? Troops should all be brought home? Police shouldn't work? The elderly and those in hospice should be left uncared for?

Quoting Adeline1210:

Nobody should have to work holidays. Ever. Doesn't matter what field you're in. If it has been declared a national holiday, let alone one that you should spend with family, then the store shouldn't be open. Period.

I can't remember the last day of Thanksgiving I was actually home for.

celticgodess
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I went and got bagels this morning.  I said "Happy Thanksgiving.  Sorry you have to work today, but it's kinda like a pharmacy.  You have to have bagels on Thanksgiving"  There are certain industries (hospital, emergenc services, etc) that can not close.  There are certain industries (movies/bagels/pizza) that can have their busiest day of the year on a holiday.  You know that when you take the job.  There is nothing on sale at 8 tonight that can't wait until tomorrow.

lincolnlady
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I agree!!! My husband works Thanksgiving every year. He doesn't work retail, he works at a network news station. There are so many jobs that require people to work on holidays. People need to stop crying about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celticgodess
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Quoting countrymomma81:

I think those who have a job at all should be "Thankful" for any day of work they have, holiday or not. 

If you didn't want to work holidays you should have made other career choices. 

When I started in retail 16 years ago it was a non issue!  Stoores wouldn't dream of being open on a holiday.  Currently I work for a store that is still closed Easter, Thanksgiving, and Xmas but it won't be long before there is no other career choice.  365 business as usual.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Actually, no - that is all the more reason to be open.  People who don't celebrate can volunteer to work the hours....and then other people can volunteer to cover for those people when they need off for one of the holidays they DO celebrate.  Would be nicer to be able to switch-off days instead of having to use vacation and sick days to get off for the holidays that you do celebrate that aren't national holidays.

Quoting Adeline1210:

I totally agree! That's why they should blanket it. No one should have to work them. Whether or not you celebrate is your own business, but the store shouldn't be opened. Today's soceity is too set on gaining money and not values.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Not everyone celebrates the same holidays.  Just because something is a "national holiday" doesn't mean you are required to celebrate it.

Quoting Adeline1210:

Nobody should have to work holidays. Ever. Doesn't matter what field you're in. If it has been declared a national holiday, let alone one that you should spend with family, then the store shouldn't be open. Period.

adalynnsmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I have never understood why places could not shut down for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July ect...  But, if people would not shop the stores would not be open.

smenjivar
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Up I agree too! I also work in retail and knew what to expect.

Quoting 2BBboys0509:

Quoting outtamymynd:

I don't know what they're crying about. At least they have a job.

I agree 100% I work in retail and new damn well I would have to work. Oh well,such is life. Get over it and just be thankful you have a job to bitch about. 

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Wow. I'm sure if someone in your family was critically injured or dangerously sick on thanksgiving you would think otherwise. Do you know how many people would die just so people could all be off work?

Quoting Adeline1210:

lol. Yes to all that.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

So hospitals should be closed on holidays? Troops should all be brought home? Police shouldn't work? The elderly and those in hospice should be left uncared for?

Quoting Adeline1210:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nenasam
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My hubby always works on thanksgiving and most of the holidays for the past 7 years ( since I knew him). It's sock but the paycheck that could pay our bills...we are still grateful.
sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Agreed!

Quoting graycalico:

I think it's reasonable to expect to work holidays if you are in retail but I think it's also reasonable to keep Black Friday sales on Black Friday. The whole thing is gross to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)