Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

so its cruel to make those in retail work thanksgiving

Posted by   + Show Post
Isn't that the general consesus around here? So here's my question why doesn't anybody care that movie theatre workers have to work holidays as well? Can't people just go see movies another day so they can be with their families?
And before anybody says anything my hubby is on call for thanksgiving this year. He was last year too and ended up working so yes, I know what its like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Replies (41-50):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

No worries from me.  Honestly - I really don't care either way.  We survived it just happy to have income back then....and it is never going to be a concern for us again....life is good.

Quoting Adeline1210:

My only point, and I'm sorry if I started a mini-war here, was that I simply wished people could be with their families. That is all I was saying. I wasn't doing a complaint, I wasn't saying whoa is me and my family. I know I'm fortunate to have a job. I'm sorry if you got upset, I promise I was just trying to say that I wish we could all be home and able to be around our loved ones. Nothing else meant by this.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Sorry....I have a hard time being sympathetic about someone having to work on a holiday where the date isn't a big deal - you can celebrate being thankful any day.  My husband had to use ALL of the vacations days he got for years to be off on our holidays which are religious days and the dates cannot be changed....and he still volunteered to be on-call/work on days when others needed/wanted off for their holidays.  We were thankful he had a job and didnt complain...we just also didnt get to spend much fun time doing things as a family for a long while.

Quoting Adeline1210:

I wish that were the case, but no one volunteers. I volunteer every Thanksgiving because I know I don't work Christmas. I'm lucky to have a job, it's time and a half, and I can move the meal to a different day. I wish it were as easy for other holidays. I do hate working it, but I don't spend the entire shift hating everyone who comes in. Hope your turkey day was awesome!

Quoting TableforSeven:

Actually, no - that is all the more reason to be open.  People who don't celebrate can volunteer to work the hours....and then other people can volunteer to cover for those people when they need off for one of the holidays they DO celebrate.  Would be nicer to be able to switch-off days instead of having to use vacation and sick days to get off for the holidays that you do celebrate that aren't national holidays.

Quoting Adeline1210:

I totally agree! That's why they should blanket it. No one should have to work them. Whether or not you celebrate is your own business, but the store shouldn't be opened. Today's soceity is too set on gaining money and not values.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Not everyone celebrates the same holidays.  Just because something is a "national holiday" doesn't mean you are required to celebrate it.

Quoting Adeline1210:

Nobody should have to work holidays. Ever. Doesn't matter what field you're in. If it has been declared a national holiday, let alone one that you should spend with family, then the store shouldn't be open. Period.

I can't remember the last day of Thanksgiving I was actually home for.

Oceana09
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I boycott movies on family oriented holidays. I also do not go to stores on family oriented holidays for any reason. My fiance is in the Army. We weren't together last Thansgiving, so it wasn't a big deal. He was single with family that really didn't give two shits, so he was content being in Afghanastan. This year, he is in Hawaii and I am in Oregon. So I know what it's like to not have family home for the holidays and if it's not necessary, then I do not agree with it. Movies and retail are not necessary in my opinion.

savingtheworld
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Yep..I'm n health care..an haven't been able to have a holiday in 11 yrs...but I knew that when I took the job..so no I don't feel sorry for those that work at Walmart..

Quoting smenjivar:

what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littleangie
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I know many workplaces offer extra money if people work the holidays.  I would like to see this with retail stores also.  It is the hoidays, why not share the wealth. 

LoveMyLos
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I have not heard ONE thing about them in this clusterfuck of a holiday.

Quoting smenjivar:

what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zumbafreak11
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I think that we could do without the craziness of Black Friday which is why most retail is open on Thanksgiving.  I think it just makes people regardless of their job moody to have to work on a holiday and I've never really understood why people have to work on a holiday unless they're emergency personnel and, of course, the troops.  I've never understood going to a movie on Thanksgiving or Christmas, but that's just me.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Don't forget the police and corrections officers too!! I have worked many holidays being in law enforcement. I have to work Christmas this year.
ambermario4ever
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I say if you don't want to have to work on a holiday then you need to get a job where you know you won't have to. Other wise don't complain. If you have a job in retail then you know there is a good chance you will have to work on a holiday. 

the3Rs
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM
My DH works on the private side of the airport. So he got to spend the holidays fueling up planes & carrying luggage for rich snobs (some are nice) jetting off in their private plane for Thanksgiving dinner.

There are TONS of people in different professions required to work holidays. What makes retail so special?
the3Rs
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM
And pilots, flight attendants, TSA, flight ground crew, ticketing agents, cab drivers, rental car places and everyone else involved in helping OTHER people travel to see THEIR families.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Plow drivers and medical personnel and hotel workers and gas station attendants and military people work every holiday and aren't on here bitching. Not sure what makes a retail cashier entitled to stay home. We all choose our line of work. If you want to be a nurse or a marine or a cashier you will work holidays. Period. If having holidays off is SO important than work at a bank or a government office.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN