Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

so its cruel to make those in retail work thanksgiving

Posted by   + Show Post
Isn't that the general consesus around here? So here's my question why doesn't anybody care that movie theatre workers have to work holidays as well? Can't people just go see movies another day so they can be with their families?
And before anybody says anything my hubby is on call for thanksgiving this year. He was last year too and ended up working so yes, I know what its like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Replies (51-60):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I'm in law enforcement so I know how you feel.

Quoting savingtheworld:

Yep..I'm n health care..an haven't been able to have a holiday in 11 yrs...but I knew that when I took the job..so no I don't feel sorry for those that work at Walmart..

Quoting smenjivar:

what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kris on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I've been fortunate in that I've never had to work on a holiday, so I probably shouldn't say anything.  It is what it is. I  feel bad for those who do have to work, and I wish everyone could be with their families, but reality is - that's not the way it works, unfortunately.

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Quoting smenjivar:

what about nurses, doctors, firefights. OH AND THE TROOPS who can't even be home for the holidays.

I'm a nurse. We signed up for this. Retail workers didn't.

kagnegcdg
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Why does every one seem so against working on holidays. I understand some have jobs that are monday-friday with holidays off.........BUT there are some of us like my sister and I who arent with our families on the Holidays because we are taking care of family members that some familys have forgotten are still around. My sister is a doctor and I am a nurse. We work in a field the is 24/7 and if we dont work then there is no one to take care of others..........

kagnegcdg
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Quoting pixie-buttercup:

Quoting smenjivar:

I'm a nurse. We signed up for this. Retail workers didn't.

retail workers did sign up for holidays. if you work in a retail store that is open 24/7 then you signed up to work on the holiday...

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Well,I work in retail but I don't work black friday(because I don't work fridays).I work with alot of people that LOVE going in at midnight to work thru black friday.So even though they don't technically work thanksgiving(our retail chain doesn't open on T-day) they do sacrifice part of T-day(when you work overnight,you have to go to bed quite early so you can get up and be functional for work.So,in essence,you give up part of your day with your family so you can get to bed early,which kinda sucks.) But they do it and they seem to enjoy it.

CafeMom Tickers
goddess829
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I understand the necessity for hospitals and police.  I do not understand why retailers need to be open on a holiday.  If a store can get enough employees to volunteer, then be open but I don't believe anyone in retail should be forced to work.

Ethl
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Those of you that are bothered by people working on a holiday fight back in your own way--dont shop on those days--no customers--no reason to be open--personally I dont think most of the workers are so upset--another work day--morre pay--its a good thing--the most protests came from the people connected with the unions who are trying to get a union in Walmart--those people protesting were not celebratiing the holiday with family and they were not getting paid--who is the dummy here????

momof3_dll
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Well I say you should know this when entering the retail, movie and healthcare world (and whatever other careers I'm forgetting).   I wished it was different in the retail and movie jobs but big wig corporate wants to make the almighty dollar, they could care less about family time for the worker bees.  I worked for Target 6yrs.  It was mandatory for everyone to work black friday or you would be terminated.  They tell you this when they interview you.  But anyways we would rake in a good 300K within the first few hours.  Craziness. 

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I have mixed feelings on the whole thing honestly. But my point is why is it only retail workers who "deserve" to spend the day with their families? That's my point. Why is it only retail when people in other unnecessary jobs have worked thanksgiving for years?

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

I don't get the mentallity that those with retail jobs don't deserve to spend the day with their families as much as those in a different field.  When I started working retail we weren't open until 6am on Black Friday and it's slowly gotten to the way it is now where I have to be there at midnight.  I don't get paid overtime for being at work today and neither does anyone else in my mall.  Most of my friends who are store managers like I am have started having to skip the holidays with their families because we're expected to work 6 day work weeks until January (we're all salaried employees).  Like I said, this stuff wasn't like this when we all started.  I'm not complaining about it because I like my job but I can completely understand those who don't think it's fair.  You wanting a discount on a TV will never be more important than someone getting to spend time with their families.

ETA I actually have to be there way before midnight, that's just when we open.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)