Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Migraines

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:46 AM
  • 11 Replies
I know they tend to run in families; my mom and grandmother both had them and so do I. How early can you be diagnosed with them? Is there a set age? I think Kyle's already getting them because there are times when he says he has a headache and feels like he has to puke. Nausea is one of the biggest side effects of migraines so I'm just wondering if anyone else has kids that get them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:53 AM

My middle daughter started getting migraines when she was 7-8 years old.  :-(. They used to be REALLY bad...but we've discovered what her biggest triggers are and she's gotten better about doing preventative things at the earliest signs over the years...she's 16 now.

My older son has gotten one or two migraines I think in the last year....he was 9 when he got his first one.  Hopefully they will never get as bad for him as they did for DD.  since we have a better clue what to look for as far as triggers go...I think we have a but of an advantage this time around.

I get migraines....but they were usually hormonal.  I still get the occasional stress migraine....but those don't happen too often (thank G-d).

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:11 AM

My now 10 y/o son was diagnosed with them at age 7. We were able to link them to certain foods that he was eating. It's been a while since he's had one.

wingmom
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Look into magnesium for the nausea. I get menstrual migraine right before my period but didnt get them until after I had my son, my hormones just changed and Ive had them ever since. The single thing that has helped me most was taking magnesium, it completely got rid of the nausea with my migraines. ANd many people who take mag claim it has cut down on their migraine frequency and/or intensity considerably. Our modern diets just are so low on mag, and it might be worth a try for your son since its a supplement and not a medication. I take 300mg a day, (100mg 3x a day) it seems like a pain but it sure beats the total hell of nausea and migraine together. Buy the good stuff though not over the counter, make sure the magnesium you buy ends with -ate, not -ide, as in chloride. I get mine from 1-Natural-Living.com.  I panic at the thought of not having my magnesium around thats how much it has helped me. Also omegas are good for migraines, since I started eating ground up flax seeds every day in my cereal, that helped cut down on their length too. Good luck hope this helps.

Raeann11
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Mine started when I as a teen.

chinosruca
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Mine started around 14. I can't function when I get them. I have to be in a cold, dark place with no noise. I don't think there is a set age for diagnosis....but you should take him to see his dr. It is a pain so unbearable!! I have to take medication and have had to go a few times to the emergency room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zumbafreak11
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I was diagnosed about 8, I think, but then grew out of them in my teens.  My 7 year old daughter doesn't get them and I've never heard that there was a genetic link, but do find that interesting.

Mari6443
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Migraines run in my family as well. My migraines started when I was 23. My first one was the worst headache of my life!:( Whenever I get them I am sensitive to light, sensitive to sound, I can't think, or do my normal things. And I do get nausea sometimes. Sometimes I do get sick. Migraines are AWFUL!! So I can relate to your situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Thanks for your replies, ladies. I appreciate it. Turns out Kyle has the flu. :( But I'm definitely going to look further into him being diagnosed with migraines if he is indeed getting them.
unusualmom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM
My son started getting migraines at 7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovingmyny
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM
I was diagnosed with them at 21 my mom and grandmother both had them. Now DD is 13 and she is going through the same thing, I won' t let them put her all the diffrent meds that they had me on bc of so many side effects, so I bought regular aspirin and let her rest,, and for nausea I give her ginger tea. I try to stick with home remedies, try looking at home remedies. com. Trust me I know how he feels me and my daughter go through it. Also keep a food journal of what he eats so you can see what triggers them, bc food has alot to do with it as well. Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)