Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

If you DO NOT celebrate Christmas...do you get OFFENDED if...

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM
  • 7 Replies

someone wishes you a happy Christmas?

How do you handle it if someone says that to you and you do not celebrate Christmas?

We'll take it for granted that these are random people or casual friends or even online friends who may not know you very well... as those who know you very well will know you do not celebrate.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this

No I don't get offended at all.

I don't celebrate the "Christ in Christmas" but I do celebrate winter solstice. My side of the family is not at all religious. We have always celebrated on Christmas eve since that is how my grandfather celebrated~ he was from Iceland.

ardiaxe
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I just say "Oh thank you, I celebrate Hannukah though".  Not offended at all.

KylesMom409
by Linnette on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I have NEVER understood why anyone would be offended by a friendly greeting.

We don't celebrate Christmas....but if someone wishes me a merry Christmas, I will wish them a merry Christmas back because I assume that is what they celebrate.  If I don't know someone personally and want to give them a friendly greeting - I wish them a Happy Holiday (and I have been shocked at how rudely some people respond to this).  

I never correct the person and say "I don't celebrate Christmas" or telling them that I celebrate Hanukkah....I just take any friendly greeting in stride and respond likewise.

sunflowers12
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM

well, understand that many do like it, and probably just stay more to my self if i was not going to celebrate with others.. i sure wouldn't take it away from others to do what they want to do just because i didn't like it or want to do the same things... there's lots of things i really don't like but because others do i am subjectedto see / hear all about it... some of these things are offensive to me but i don't protest it and make a hug deal outta it... the only thing i can do is turn my head or not participate in the activity...

sdgd21
by Diana on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I do now, but before due to my religion, I did not, I kinda grew up that way, so I was use to it, I would just say thank you, I mean you know that there are just being nice. I often feel people take offence to quickly.

That being said,  I still think about when I wish someone a Merry Christmas, and I TRY to only do it after being wished one.

SerenityBerry
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I don't get offended, I realize that it is being said out of kindness and that they likely don't realize I don't celebrate Christmas. I usually just say thank you and wish them a happy holiday and continue on with my day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN