Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Unreasonable Rule?

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM
  • 60 Replies

I have a friend and her 3 children staying with me, my husband and our 4 children right now because they fell into a financial situation and needed a place to stay. I have rules as most people and apparently her children are having trouble with a few of them as they didn't have these rules in their own home. One in particular blows my mind because this was a common household rule for most. So I was wondering if anyone has this rule in their home or if they don't think it's a big deal. I  mean, overall my mind won't be changed because it's just how I want things to be in my home but I am just curious if I am possibly being too "restrictive" as  my friend puts it or if others share my view.

No jumping on furniture - couch, bed, chairs, etc.

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sthflachk
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I have this rule!! Every time I take my DD to certain house she plays with their DD and they ALLOW it. I always tell her to stop. When we get home it takes her a few times me yelling at her for her to remember we don't allow it. Ugh, when my friend comes over with her DD she always wants to jump and run on all the furniture. My friend doesn't say anything....but I do!

My house, my rules or gtfo!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Looneyfarmmom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I want to keep my furniture for a long time so I have that rule as well. 

elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM
4 moms liked this
I have that rule . If it makes your friend uncomfortable, then she needs to find other arrangements, point blank.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Your house, your rules.
Don't like them, there's the door don't let it hit ya where the good lord split ya.

We also have that rule also. Jumping on your bed or couch will actually ruin them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cklamour
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM
2 moms liked this
NO, your BeBe children will NOT jump on any of my furniture.

Even if she thought it to be too restrictive, she needs to think of how kind you are to let her have a place to stay. I don't care if you said bedtime is 7pm for all. You're doing her a favor and she needs to respect your home and rules. Period.

Jumping on the furniture...wtf?! Smdh!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Yep we have that rule too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuzyMommy35
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Yes we also have that rule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Nope. That is a safety rule. I don't like scrubbing blood out of my expensive furniture (even a "cheap" sofa is $200+) and I hate spending hours in the ER for stitches
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenmama9801
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Thx everyone. I know people run their homes their way but it just seems like a basic rule most households would have if for nothing else to not ruin the furniture. I didn't have much growing up so I value what I have. I mean I bust my ass working to buy these things so I want them to last. I don't want my kids growing up being destructive or not valuing anything they have. I don't want to have to replace things nor do I want my kids getting hurt. Idk...

AtillaTheHun
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a rule in our house, too. I don´t see what would be unreasonable about it? If they don´t like it, sucks to be them. It is your house, your rules. You have taken them in not because you have to, but because you have a good heart. I would expect then to respect my rules, my property, and my house, too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)