Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help!!!

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  • 19 Replies
Hello! I have never done this before! But I need help! I need advice from fellow inspired women. I am very shy, and hate it!! I believe it's holding me back. And it's getting worse as I get older. I'm am 30 years old. I am a hair dresser ... Yes I work with many people every day. But I can not seem to build my business. I have been doing it for five years. And feel I am still struggling. I have a ten year old son, and a almost one year old daughter. I look at them and want to give them the world. But how can I when I hind in my own shadow. I would LOVE advice on any ideas on how to be creative and get out there to start building my business. And break out of my shell!!
Please help fellow mommys!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heatherh610
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Networking and word of mouth are the keys to cheap and long lasting business sucess (or failure). Check meetup.com for meetups designed for small business owners.
Pass out cards to local weddig planners and ask them to refer their brides for a discount (or kickback...).
Attend or set up booths at local wedding events.
Know any local high school girls? Give them cards to pass out and offer them a discount if they help you book a set number of referrals for prom/homecoming...or even for senior picture dates.
Go to a local nursing home and offer basic services for one. Saturday or Sunday afternoon a month or every other month (when the majority of visitors will be in to talk you up)...then offer other services for fee there by apointment if you like but always arm yourself with lots of business cards to give them so they can telltheir families about the "nice girl who trimmed their hair or gave them a basic manicure".
Do you have a Facebook page and Twitter acct for your business? These make for great free advertisement spaces and their info should be on your business cards.
Some kickbacks and extra time in now can really pay off in the end as you build a positive reputation. And reguardless of how you feel aboit it, you jist need to get out there and do it of growing a business is important to you.
Anyway, just a few ideas. Sorry for rambling or typos...I am feeding my little one while I type. Lol. Good luck!
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Does your business have a facebook page?

That is the first place to start. Get people to "like" your page by offering a discount that only pops up once they've liked the page. Then get your current customers to review you.

Also, make a website, so that Google knows you exist. Get your customers to leave you Google reviews. The more clicks you have to your website, the more likely you are to pop up on a Google search.

Not sure if you go to church, but it is a really easy way to get plugged into a large and usually very loyal community. We go to a fairly large church but have become very active in a small group and because of those connections, my husband (who is also self-employed) has made connections/business throughout the church.

I do think it matters to make actual face-to-face connections and the only way to get good at it is to do it.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

goddess829
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I could use the same advice from someone.  It's holding me back in class.  I'm going to school to be a vet tech, but everytime I'm asked to demonstrate a technique I mess it up majorly from sheer nerves.  It isn't like I don't know how to do it.  It isn't my classmates or proff, either.  They are super supportive.

ambertreas76
by Amber on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Vistaprint has free business cards.... not 100% free as you have to pay for shipping.  Get some and hand em out.  Go to the bookstore and shove em in magazines for women  (hair mags, US Weekly, wedding mags, etc) and in books women typically read (relationship counseling books, self-motivational books, romance novels, etc).   You can also do it at the library.  Also, at different stores, they have corkboards where you can advertise by sticking your business card up.  Do you have a specialty... color, specialty cuts, etc?  Accentuate it on the cards.  

I have my own biz and the business cards helped ALOT.  

keriblueberry
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to be very uncomfortable talking to large groups.  I am much better now and it is because I had a job where I had to talk to groups of people all the time.  If you challenge yourself to do one thing to put yourself out there every day (or maybe every couple days at first) it will be less scary as time goes by.  I don't think there is any magic solution.  I still get nervous before events or interviews or something that is new.  I just try to make myself do it anyway and then congratulate myself for having gotten through it.

mrs.Martinez201
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Portfolio !!!! Word of mouth!!! If you're good and have a good personality it shouldn't be hard. they tell you in cosmetology school it usually takes 3/5 years to even start to build a steady clientele
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you got some really good advise... here's what I did :

Although I'm in office work I have my full hair dresser training  and years ago I took a weekend job at my friend's salon and to get people in I set up a super basic manicure station (soapy water, buffer board, cuticule pusher, lotion) and bought a gallon of conditioner.  Put a sign outside that advertised  "Jinxed Special today only"  Basic Manicure or Basic Scalp Massage  $5 -  At some point I had 5 people waiting.  I spent 15 mins max on each client.  -  I made the conditions clear that it was a BASIC service, nail soak, clean, trim, cuticules push back and file, for a $1 more I would put on nail polish.   -- Scalp massage I did a conditionner application, 5 minute massage, a few minutes under the dryer and rinse off - if they wanted their hair shampooed it was an extra $3 - If they wanted it dried another $5 and styled I would make them a package deal. 

Yes it was awful cheap BUT It got so many people in the door - and you know what ?  $5 is better than sitting there and getting nothing, most people tip,  and chances are if they liked you,  they will be back !  When they leave you can give them a card with a discount if they come back for a full service : wash, cut & set or Color

t2080c
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

have you tryed making a web page, making posters and posting them all over the place, placing adds in the news paper, offering discounts like a five dollar discound after your fourth visit. I use to sell avon and all of this worked for me. were do you live. i live in Kalamazoo , mi

MamaM2
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Thank you everyone so much!!!! Very good advice!! I will for sure start ok many of those things!! I appreciate the time you took to help me out!!! Something has to work! I just need to find that little push to take me where I need to be! I love all your ideas!!
MamaM2
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM
I live in Reno nv. The hair business is insane here. I just wish I could find that one thing that could set me apart in advertising.

Quoting MamaM2:

Thank you everyone so much!!!! Very good advice!! I will for sure start ok many of those things!! I appreciate the time you took to help me out!!! Something has to work! I just need to find that little push to take me where I need to be! I love all your ideas!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)