Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Differing parenting style

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

So my husband thinks I have mummy issues and I am excessively controlling. Admittedly i hate having my kids out of my sight and even if I employ a full time nanny, I live with my younger sister just to make sure my kids are being taken care of. My husband thinks this weird and that i need to let go unless if i want to become like those moms in the t.v show who never let their kids go to park. He on the other hand has a very relaxed parenting style and thinks boys should be boys and my 2 year old daughter must be let to roam the garden freely, wheras i will not let her touch dirt and will change her entire outfit if she gets it on her clothes. Question is, how to concile and match the different parenting styles? Has anyone ever faced this challenge and how have they dealt with it?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Dec. 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Bump
exhaustedmother
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Bump

stickyfingers
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:40 AM

i dont know...you need to let them touch things and learn...stop them if they try to taste is obviously and wash their hands when they go in the house but think of it like a learning experience for them...they dont know wat trees feel like or leaves or dirt or bugs...let them exploreit makes them smarter. let him take them outside without you...they will be fine kids are totally washable!

JeremysMom
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:48 AM
I am a little confused by this part- "i hate having my kids out of my sight and even if I employ a full time nanny, I live with my younger sister just to make sure my kids are being taken care of."

Do you live with your husband as well? Why do you have to live with your sister to make sure your kids are being taken care of? It sounds like you may be going overboard a bit and it is effecting your life and those around you lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM

oh yeah my dh is hit first ask questions later!!! always talking about beating down never doing it, but in the past he was very harsh has mellowed in some ways talks big but that's about it... i have a different way of doing things i believethe punishment should be fitting.. i hardly spank mainly just ground now a days because they are to old... but it took years to get here where we are at compromising is the biggest issues...  but not when it seem you dh just wants to physically hurt your kids for lame reasons and to me all his reasoning is kinda lame!!  i think its important to have good super vision but at the same time they do have to learn how to be independent from mom and dad and conduct them selves in the right manner... this doesn't mean you let them run crazy in a park or something.. for example there were two young boys with their mom at  walmart super busy place traffic is crazy there and she wasn't paying a bit of attention while her children were running in and out of traffic and yelling and going up to strangers!! to me that's crazy but she didn't seem to care scary to me as well... you will just have to work on things and learn just like everyone has how to pick your battles as well and compromise with your dh there is some place in the middle that you and he can be comfortable with i am sure... 

rgba
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Playing in dirt=healthier kids, both mentally and physically. You can still watch over your kids closely while allowing them to explore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN