Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Help with 17 month old

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi,

My son will be 17 months old tomorrow. He's really starting to assert his little personality. 99% of the time, he's awesome. But he is starting to throw some mini tantrums when he doesn't get his way. He gets over it quickly though, and I typically just ignore the behavior and tell him "I know you're upset, but you can't do xyz because" usually because its dangerous. I will keep it short as I understand he's a bit young to '"reason with" at this age.

Here is my dilema. Lately he is getting physical with me. He grabs everything off my face and head, (glasses go flying, headbands, and worse, earrings) If I don't let him try to touch he will pitch a fit when I'm holding him and usually he hits me in the face, or kicks, or both. At night when I'm getting him ready for bed, its the same... he will hit me in the face, poke, kick.

I grab his hands and say firmly "No HITTING Mommy" and when he does this when I'm holding him, he gets put down immediately and again I will tell him not to hit. That just gets him more upset and he tries to climb my leg.

Any advice on how to handle this? What works for you ladies? Is he too young for a time out? I don't believe in spanking. I've slapped his hand before and I don't think it does anything. In fact, he laughs when I do that.

Help?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
GMom2011
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I've got a couple of nice scratches on my face from him, and he's doing this more frequently, so I would like to nip this in the bud asap.

babygirlsmom314
by Corinne on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

BUMP!

MaddieBsMommy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I have an 18 mo son who started some of this behavior a month or two ago....I started with time outs and at the beginning it worked, he'd sit where I put him and I'd tell him "No, we don't hit" etc....and he'd say "up"? and I'd make him sit for 2 minutes....he's now gotten to where this doesn't work as well, he'll try to get up etc....I do the same thing you do as far as putting him down etc....and it usually passes, I feel like their still to young to really understand....but I'd love to hear others suggestions, good luck Mama

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)