Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty training a stubborn 2 1/2 year old

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM
  • 19 Replies

My 2 1/2 year old is more than ready to be potty trained.  For the past year she has been sitting on the potty and peeing.

However, she thinks it is absolutely hillarious to pee on the floor.  She will be running around then she will stop, look down, spread her legs, start laughing, and pee.  It doesn't give me enough time to get her to the potty.  When she is done she happily runs off to the bathroom to get a rag and change her panties.  I've tried making her stay in her wet clothes for a while but she just doesn't care.

What in the world do I do?  She won't sit on the potty at timed intervals she will just stand there screaming at the door.  I've tried stickers and reward charts but she doesn't care.  I've told her she can get new dora panties that she really wants once she starts using the potty more but she just isn't motivated.

Any ideas?

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

she isnt ready... 

you will know when she is... give it some time...

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

She's aware of when she needs to go and she knows how to control it.  She uses the potty several times a day as well.  She wakes up dry in the mornings as well.  She is ready she's just stubborn and thinks it's funny to pee on the floor.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

she isnt ready... 

you will know when she is... give it some time...

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Oh and in the morning when she still has a diaper on from the night she will take off her diaper just so she can pee on the floor.  So putting her back in diapers isn't an option either.

cryzmom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM
3 moms liked this

make her clean it up...maybe she won't think that's so funny after a few times

mandyjh
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM
The only thing I can think of is making her clean up the floor :/ sorry I am not much help, my DD was easy to potty train, I lucked out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Like I said the first thing she does is runs happily to get a towel and clean it up.

Quoting cryzmom:

make her clean it up...maybe she won't think that's so funny after a few times

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM
She does clean it up

Quoting mandyjh:

The only thing I can think of is making her clean up the floor :/ sorry I am not much help, my DD was easy to potty train, I lucked out!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Maybe experiment with punishments (take away a favorite toy, no tv, no playing with family pet, etc). Everyone (even a 2 1/2yo) has something they value. Take it and remind her why it is being taken. Put it in sight but out of reach.

Luckily, my 2yo is fully potty trained.....during daytime/awake hours. Since about 22 months. She can't stand peeing or pooping her panties. Sure she has occaisional accidents, but they are very rare and often happen in public when we can't get to a restroom fast enough. She does still wear a diaper to bed. We can't seem to get her not to pee. We stopped drinks at night and it doesn't help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexipooh78
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

DS will sort of do the same thing. He thinks it is funny to make a mess (pour out his water, smash his crackers) and loves to clean it up. We finally tried making him sit there and watch US clean it up. He freaked out and was very upset that he didn't get to clean it himself. Now all we have to do is remind him that if he makes a mess of purpose that he does not get to clean it up and he usually does really well. Since she likes to clean it up maybe not letting her would help.

JasonsMom2007
by Lisa on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Hmm maybe I will have to try that thanks.

Quoting lexipooh78:

DS will sort of do the same thing. He thinks it is funny to make a mess (pour out his water, smash his crackers) and loves to clean it up. We finally tried making him sit there and watch US clean it up. He freaked out and was very upset that he didn't get to clean it himself. Now all we have to do is remind him that if he makes a mess of purpose that he does not get to clean it up and he usually does really well. Since she likes to clean it up maybe not letting her would help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)