Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Group B Strep

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM
  • 14 Replies
So I am a couple months along(they aren't exactly sure yet) in my pregnancy and someone from the Dr office calls and says I have a group b strep infection in my bladder. I am on antibiotics 4 times a day. Then I have an allergic reaction to the meds so now I must wait til tomorrow to call the Dr. Since no one really explained this whole thing to me, I googled group b strep. Bad idea! Now I am a bundle of nerves.

Anybody had to deal with this in their pregnancy?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notquite2sets
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:05 AM
I dealt with it first 2 pregnancies last one I was fine. got antibiotics during delivery and had 48 hour hold after delivery for baby. we are and were ok. U and baby will b fine
LovinLife81
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:19 AM

no here is a bump

Melissa_anne
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I had it when i was pregnant, all they told me was that as soon as i went into labor and went to the hospital i needed to tell the nurses and get an iv asap. 

ambertreas76
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I had Strep B with both of mine.  They gave me antibiotics intravenously when I was in labor.  No biggie.  Everyone was just fine.  It's actually a pretty normal thing.  Be happy that they caught it.  It can cause major problems for a child if your doc doesn't give you antibiotics.  Don't freak out.  

Lizzardo
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, don't stress! The worse thing would be if it weren't caught first. Since you're only so far along now, they'll test you again at 36 weeks. IF it still shows up, they just know to be ready at delivery. Make sure the ER knows you were allergic to that other med and they'll give you something else and treat baby when s/he comes out. :)

Quoting ambertreas76:

I had Strep B with both of mine.  They gave me antibiotics intravenously when I was in labor.  No biggie.  Everyone was just fine.  It's actually a pretty normal thing.  Be happy that they caught it.  It can cause major problems for a child if your doc doesn't give you antibiotics.  Don't freak out.  

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I had it, but they didn't do anything other than put extra meds in my IV when I went into labor.

bmw29
by Bobbie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Same here

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I had it, but they didn't do anything other than put extra meds in my IV when I went into labor.

Fight4Jalen
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi ladies,

My name is Gaby and I lost my son due to Strep B. I am here to promote awareness about Strep and how serious it can be. I am so glad to hear that your babies are ok but Strep B is the leading cause for stillbirths,meningitis, cerebral palsy and other conditions. As you all may know, doctors do not test for this bacteria until the 35th-37th week of pregnancy and yes, antibiotics are given but what happens to the babies before the 35th week of pregnancy? I lost my son at 25 weeks and his loss has changed me forever. I am here to ask every pregnant mom to ask to be tested regularly into pregnancy via urine culture. I am not here to scared anyone that  has tested positive. The best way to avoid tradegy is by educating yourselves and early prevention! As a way to advocate for our son and promote awareness we started a website for him. For more information on strep b please visit, Fight4jalen.org or Strep B organization at groupstrepbinternational.org. Please pass this word around to get tested early!!'

Thank you,

GABY

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM
All of my doctors (&my friends) tested for strep during first prenatal appt between 10-12 weeks.

Quoting Fight4Jalen:

Hi ladies,

My name is Gaby and I lost my son due to Strep B. I am here to promote awareness about Strep and how serious it can be. I am so glad to hear that your babies are ok but Strep B is the leading cause for stillbirths, meningitis, cerebral palsy and other conditions. As you all may know, doctors do not test for this bacteria until the 35th-37th week of pregnancy and yes, antibiotics are given but what happens to the babies before the 35th week of pregnancy? I lost my son at 25 weeks and his loss has changed me forever. I am here to ask every pregnant mom to ask to be tested regularly into pregnancy via urine culture. I am not here to scared anyone that  has tested positive. The best way to avoid tradegy is by educating yourselves and early prevention! As a way to advocate for our son and promote awareness we started a website for him. For more information on strep b please visit, Fight4jalen.org or Strep B organization at groupstrepbinternational.org. Please pass this word around to get tested early!!'

Thank you,

GABY

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fight4Jalen
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Hi Connie,

That is awesome to hear! The Center of Disease Control's protocol is to test at 35-37 weeks. You guys are so lucky! What state is this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)