Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Not sure how I feel about this..

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:05 AM
  • 13 Replies
My DH is about to get his truck license on Tuesday and I am not sure how I feel about him driving trucks.

I will support him 100%though regardless of my feeling

I wouldn't have an issue except my amazing father passed away in a truck accident.

Those ladies who have SO's with jobs you aren't entirely comfortable with, how do you cope?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anyuka75
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:19 AM

My DH did a job that I hated him having for 8 years --- gone every weekend, missed family functions.....beautiful women around him while he worked.  Ugh.  How do you cope?  Well I reached a point of realization that if HE is not happy --- WE ALL end up paying, so I accepted it.  Not easy, but I did for the sake of my sanity and happiness. 

Take it one....day......at.........a time.  bow down

ambertreas76
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM
My husband has been driving semis for 3 years. He owns his own truck now. I don't fear too much for his well-being. The hard part for us was that he was gone for so long at a time. It's usually 7 days out but it has been as long as 3 weeks. We're used to it now. I hated it at the beginning though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Is he going to be driving OTR or local?

My hubbydrives a hauls steel, locally.  It's not that I hate what he does, but anytime I hear of an accident, involving a semi, on the highway, my stomach does a flop.  I send him a text and wait for a reply and I feel bette once I get it.

I am very thankful that he refuses to go OTR.

dylansmom08
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM
My hubby was talking about getting an OTR truck job and I told him no way! I said "if you do that I'm pullimg our son out of school and we are coming with you." Well he has now changed his mind! lol I figured that would stop him in his tracks because no way is going to leave and be gone weeks at a time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

its like with any thing in life you just deal with it.. . you cant change it or the past so you just go with it because thats what he has chosen to be a provider for the family.. you can not base the rest of life's events on what happened to one person you cared about... things happen all the time there is no guarantee of tomorrow only today... just pray for peace and protection:) 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM
My Dh is a truck driver for a cement company, he also helps pour and does stamp work, runs machines, Ect. (jack of all trades LOL)
What kind of truck is he going to be driving?

I can see how you would be worried because of your dad.
He's actually probably safer in a truck then a car.
DH biggest worry is getting in an accident. People drive like idiots, ride in blind spots, tail gate, Ect. He's worried about killing someone and having to live with it the rest of his life.
He's been in one,a guy pulled out right in front of him. DH was in a dump truck pulling a machine. He was fine but the other guy ended up going to the hospital and his car was smashed, the truck has one scratch. (accident was not DH's fault )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kris on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

My husband has a job that is high stress and requires that he be on call 24/7.  It's interrupted vacations, family plans, etc.  If I'm honest, there are times when I have a really hard time with it.  But he loves his job.  Not all parts of it, obviously, but overall he loves what he does and he's good at it.  Ultimately that's what matters.  I'm proud of him for what he does and there are those times when I just have to grin and bear it.

nodramamama311
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM
You HAVE to keep busy and keep your mind occupied. You will always miss and think about him while he's gone but you need to keep busy. A week after our son was born my husband had to leave for 2 1/2 months for work. It sucked! New house, new city. I did have my sister 25 miles away but that's still far enough away that it cost enough in gas that you can't just drive it every day.
Anyway, that's really all I can tell you, keep busy. Housework, kids, grocery shopping, chatting online with friends, pick up hobby, play dates. I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM
I agree, keep busy. There are tons of women whose hubby's are gone for long stretches o time . My hubby was in the navy for the first 8 years of our marriage an he was always out to sea. At least as a truck driver you can talk to him everyday on the phone, that wasn't possible in my situation. My hubby is considering getting his truck lisence and I fully support any decision he makes to better our family situation . Just like I did when we were young, broke, living with my parents and had a 1 yr old and he decided to enlist to better our situation .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatmynameagain
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM
My Dh drives 18 wheelers for work. Rightnow hes ocal so he comes home after every day, 3 am- 3 pm he's gone ,but for the new year he's looking to go OTR.That Im nervous about bc he'll be gone for days at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN