Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Are you good at your job?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM
  • 18 Replies
I just started a new position 3 months ago with the same company. I just graduated with my Bachelors degree so I felt that I needed a new position with more responsibilities. It's not what I expected. I'm used to being a fast learner and knowing the job in a month. But three months later I still feel so lost and not good at what I do. It gives me anxiety and worried I'll eventually be let go cause I'm not good at it. Has anyone felt this way? It's a great opportunity to grow in the company and being 30 I should have a career by now. Sorry moms, just has to let out my frustrations.
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenmatt451
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Wow, after 3 months I would be feeling pretty down on myself.  I'm not sure what your job entails but it sounds to me like maybe you didn't get enough training for your position?  When I took the position of A/R manager two years ago, it was because the previous one got fired.  Now while I had been doing A/R stuff for years, there was so much that she had been responsible for that I had never done before.  And without her there to show me, I had to learn a lot on my own.  I muddled through and taught myself much of my duties but I didn't really feel comfortable in my position until I was 6 months in.  Thankfully, I have a very patient and understanding boss.  I now have cross-trained my subordinates on my duties so that if the time came and I were moved to a new position or left the company, they wouldn't be overwhelmed like I was.  And it makes coming back from vacations easy because there isn't a pile of stuff waiting on me!  Good luck to you.

dylansmom08
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I don't work now but at my last job it took me about four months to get it down but that was because they kept moving me from one place to another.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ryantine
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM
There is actually no training. I was hired on as a project manager and all projects are different. You kind of get thrown in and my manager mentors me. It's hard though cause she'll ask me if I did something and I tell her I've never done that yet. She's cool but sometimes it seems like she expects me to know something I had no way of knowing! :( I guess I'm just used to being trained in previous positions. I hope I have it down by the 6 month mark! Thanks!!

Quoting jenmatt451:

Wow, after 3 months I would be feeling pretty down on myself.  I'm not sure what your job entails but it sounds to me like maybe you didn't get enough training for your position?  When I took the position of A/R manager two years ago, it was because the previous one got fired.  Now while I had been doing A/R stuff for years, there was so much that she had been responsible for that I had never done before.  And without her there to show me, I had to learn a lot on my own.  I muddled through and taught myself much of my duties but I didn't really feel comfortable in my position until I was 6 months in.  Thankfully, I have a very patient and understanding boss.  I now have cross-trained my subordinates on my duties so that if the time came and I were moved to a new position or left the company, they wouldn't be overwhelmed like I was.  And it makes coming back from vacations easy because there isn't a pile of stuff waiting on me!  Good luck to you.

butterflymommy2
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm very good at my job. I'm looking into asking for a promotion. I've been doing my bosses job for awhile. So I want to be an assistant branch manger. I work as a banker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8WillBLast
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM

We own a large company, I stay home with kids but do have to do plenty of work for business which I feel I am good at because my parents owned businesses & worked their butts off so I am comfortable with it.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I rule at my job!!!  Took a few years to learn what I know.  Things are constantly changing at my job.  It took about 6 months to get the basics.  I look back and wonder how I managed with knowing as little as I did compared to now.

nodramamama311
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Well actually yes I am, I am a mom. I think I'm pretty darn good but could always use improvement and am constantly looking to learn new things. I'm extremely underpaid for the hours I work and I don't really see any promotions in the near future. It's very rewarding though in other ways and probably the best job I've ever had.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Yes,I would that I am...

mysweet1s
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Take heart - My DH used to work as a project manager (that was probably 10 years ago, he's worked his way up.)  I remember it being a very involved, always changing, but exciting and rewarding position.  He's a smarty, and always good at everything he does, but it took him some time to learn the in and outs too.  Don't get discouraged.  

I'm good at my job, but I've been doing it for 11 years.  I'm a speech therapist with our county's early intervention program.  It does feel good to know that I'm confident and competent in my work.  Sometimes I joke that I like to go to work (I only work 2 days per week) because I KNOW that I'm good at that...sometimes parenting is tougher! :)

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I think I'm good at what I do :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)