Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Sick Kid with no Appetite

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM
  • 14 Replies
When you kid is sick and has no appetite do you let them go without eating or try to tempt them with a treat?

My LO woke up with a fever, cough and sneezing. I got him to drink a cup of tea this morning, but he wasn't interested in breakfast...until I made cinnamon rolls. Now he's finally eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Looneyfarmmom
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I make homemade chicken soup and feed my son the broth with some toast he can soak in it. 

Chicken soup is so easy too.

• Small thing of chicken legs.
  • Onion or Leeks (lots of vitamins for healing)
  • Carrots
  • Potatoes
  • Fresh or bottled herbs like basil, oregano, rosemary, and salt to taste.

Put the chicken to boil in your pot while you cut up your onions and carrots in rounds. Cut the potatoes chunky so they don't disappear lol. Once chicken is semi cooked you add your vegetables and herbs to boil. 

Once done you can serve it up to the family just like that or cook up ramen noodles in the broth, make your own noodles to serve in it, or just have the broth. 

dylansmom08
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I will try to bribe him into eating but if he absolutely refuses as long as he is drinking I don't worry about it. As long as he keeps drinking he.will be fine for a day or two.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I actually made crockpot turkey soup yesterday using a turkey carcass from Thanksgiving. I offered him that...he wasn't interested. He's not really a fan of soup in general.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

I make homemade chicken soup and feed my son the broth with some toast he can soak in it. 

• Carrots
  • Potatoes

Put the chicken to boil in your pot while you cut up your onions and carrots in rounds. Cut the potatoes chunky so they don't disappear lol. Once chicken is semi cooked you add your vegetables and herbs to boil. 

Once done you can serve it up to the family just like that or cook up ramen noodles in the brother, make your own noodles to serve in it, or just have the broth. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I will ask them but not push it. I will make sure they are getting enough to drink.  

Looneyfarmmom
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I usually tell my son to drink that to help him feel better or he has to drink more medicine because it will take longer. LOL he usually downs the whole cup. He hates being sick though and will do anything to get rid of it. I have lot of herbs and healing methods so I have tea for every reason like breathing issues, congestion, and more. My son learned a long time ago that Momma knew what she was talking about. Who would have thought? Mom's actually know something. 

I am just making sure he is getting the correct nutrients and vitamins to help him heal faster. It really does help because he is usually the fastes one to heal out of his class. Most of the kids are sick for a week or more and after three days my son is back on his feet. 

Quoting Babujai:

I actually made crockpot turkey soup yesterday using a turkey carcass from Thanksgiving. I offered him that...he wasn't interested. He's not really a fan of soup in general.

Quoting Looneyfarmmom:

• Carrots
  • Potatoes

Once done you can serve it up to the family just like that or cook up ramen noodles in the broth, make your own noodles to serve in it, or just have the broth. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I don't worry too much if they aren't eating as long as they are staying hydrated it's all good. They will eat when they start to feel better.

K8WillBLast
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

When my kiddos are sick, I don't push eating on them.  I do as much as I can to get them to drink.  When vomiting/diarrhea, I stick to the B.R.A.T.T diet.  

othermom
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I give them a treat, but mainly focus on fluids

mariesmama
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

mine only wants milk when sick shes 3

monkeymom1104
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM
As long as they stay hydrated. I would stay away from caffinated beverages only that can dehydrate them more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)