Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Gall bladder stones anyone?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM
  • 12 Replies

Ok so I have been seeing this GI DR for a year and he's been telling me that I don't have gallstones that my pain is not related to the gallbladder blah blah blah. I have been convinced that it is. Finally this past week after I had dinner ziti I got  this awful pain kind of like a gas pain but so strong it just didn't feel right. I went t the ER the next morning because I was scared that the pain would come back, after 8 hours blood work and an Ultrasound it is confirmed that I do have Gallstones. I need to have my gallbladder removed 😞. I am always freaking constipated on top of everything uggh it sucks, he also said no way just take some stool softeners and you'll be fine.I'm not going to him to have my GB removed I'm finding a new Dr.  Have any of you had your GB taken out? What were your symptoms of stones? And how was the surgery? The ER Dr told me its a same day surgery. 

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I had gallstones. When I was diagnosed I had no issues or symptoms so I left it alone. Then all of a sudden I started getting this uncomfortable pain in my back (under my right shoulder blade). Over time, the pain grew worse and eventually, it got so bad that I would puke from the pain. I ended up having the surgery. It was very quick. I went in, they started an IV and got me prepped. They wheeled me into the OR and put a mask over my nose and mouth and I was out like a light. I woke up later in very little pain and was able to go home about 30 minutes later. I was really tired and just wanted to sleep. Recovery wasn't that bad. I was really sore for a few days and had TERRIBLE gas pains from them inflating my stomach, but it all went away. I feel 100% better now and don't regret it one bit.

mommyivy25
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Wow that's great to know that u are 100% better thanks a bunch 

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM

No problem. Good luck!

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I had my gallbladder removed due to gallstones last December. It was able to be removed laparoscopically. I was home and recovering later that morning. Recovery was pretty quick. I was back to work in 7 days, just not able to do heavy lifting until my first post op check up.

I am still dealing with GI issues. My GI doctor doesn't think all of the issues/pain I was dealing with last year was related to the gallstones. I've since been diagnosed with lactose intolerance and IBS. I still have pain in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen that my doctor is trying to find the cause of.

mandyjh
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM
I got gallstones when I was 6 months pregnant with my first, after I ate, I would get the worst pain ever under my ribs, it was honestly worse then labor for me! I also threw up a lot! I had my gallbladder removed and it was the best thing I ever did! It was a quick surgery, and I did get to go home the same day :) which was awesome considering I had a newborn at home (they didn't do they surgery till I had my baby) anyway I had some pain after the surgery, but nothing that I couldn't handle, good luck Hun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflymommy2
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM
I had to have my gallbladder removed. It was so bad they had to cut me open to remove it. I was in the hospital for a week. They tried laparoscopy but the stones were 5 times the size of the scope..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gamelas
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM
I had mine removed and have nothing but problems since. It was removed in 2001 . Later i found out they could have done an ERCP and that a good nutritionist, accupuncturist and herbalist also could have treated me. I had multiple "gallstone events" and was told via ultrasound ivhad stones. When i requested a pathology report it said there was no incidence of gallbladder disease and no stones. What you aren't told is that most people have stones and most will pass. I wish i had tried other options before having surgery. I had laproscopics and had two weeks post op. Problems. About two years ago i sought out otherctreatment for my continued symptoms and i am finally normal again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
billiejo79
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I had my gallbladder out in 2003 due to gall stones.The first gallstone attack I had was the worst,I was bent over in pain and sweating so bad with in a few minutes I was soaked from sweat. You desribed the symptoms to a t. The surgery is same day. The recovery isn't that bad either. For 2wks you won't beable to lift over 8lbs not house work or anything either. The hardest part for me was that I had a 18month old at the time and she didn't fully understand why I couldn't pick her up.

countrymomma81
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM

No, amazingly enough that's the one thing I haven't had a problem with yet. 

*Crosses fingers*.

wifeynmommie80
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I had Gallstones and never even knew it. They found out when I had a kidney stone. And they stated my gallblader burst in surgey, due to it being so full. Most people will say having thier gallbladder out made life better, but OMG mine has been worse.  I am on a daily regimin of Prilosec.  I cannot consume ANYTHING, without heartburn and I put on like 20 pounds after surgey. Oh I had a boob tube in me for about 10 days too.  When I had my breasts done, I had a boob tube for drainage..same thing. So maybe I am better off but I sure feel worse off then I did before my surgery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)