• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family reunions ...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM
  • 32 Replies

Do you like them ?  Do you go ??

It's the most wonderful time of the year ... when my mother tries to guilt trip me about the annual extended family party ... I'd rather stay home and poke sharp things into my eyes.   Every year my mom's brother throws this "shindig" together at his condo's ball room.  Which includes my mom's 3 brothers  + their kids (9 cousins + spouses & kids) I avoid this like the plague - years ago my mother threw a fit, and I went for an hour or 2 and took off,  havn't been since.  I'm on a 8 year hiatus, don't see why break my beautiful streak now.   And then this year she's like ... talk to your DH about it maybe HE would like to come ... bwahahahaha yeah I think he'd rather sit next to me and chew on broken glass !  He is SO not the type to partake in this !

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Yep. In my family its always 4th of July weekend and it lasts for the whole weekend. There's games like volleyball and softball, a 5k race, bonfires, and fireworks. Its a huge thing for our family and we typically have over a hundred people there every year, last year there were 210.

diaperstodating
by Queen25Princes on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Yes. Every year we go! I go to three Family Reunions a year. Mine is in Georgia, my step fathers, and my husbands which are in Maryland.

You will have a great time!! They are so much fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sheri305
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

We havent had one within our family in awhile

Jinxed8
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

and you like them ?

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just anti-social and I have no empathy ... seriously can't stand the damn things

Quoting sheri305:

We havent had one within our family in awhile

lindsay122001
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM
It's been a few yrs since we've had One. I missed them all. I would love to go, but life happens.
TableforSeven
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Thankfull, my family doesn't have them.  A branch of the family tried to start them about 10 years ago...they did them two years in a row - I was able to easily skip both because I was pregnant both times....thankfully they stopped when I stopped having babies.

Jemia
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM
We have one every year labor day weekend but we don't always go.
SwtSnowflake2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Depends. I love them when it's DHs family. My family not so much. We did one year and it was so stressful! I'd rather just visit family one at a time.
Babujai
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM

My MIL's family has a huge family picnic every summer.  It's one of the things I look forward to most every summer.  My family, mother's side, hasn't had one in over 20 years.  That side of the family is spread out over England, Canada, and the Eastern Seaboard from NY to FL.  My father's side attempted one a few years ago, trying to hurry and do it before my grandmother passed away, but it didn't really come off. 

lexipooh78
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I used to love going to ours but too many of the family members are getting to old to travel well so we don't really have them anymore. I am an only child so it was great to me to get to run around and play with all of them and as we got older just spend time with them.

When it comes to Christmas and other holiday with just my immediate family I avoid those like the plague. It is hard though because they are always at my Grandma's house with is only 15mins from my house. DH doesn't really like being around family (mine or his) either so now we just send DS out there and we enjoy the quiet time to ourselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)