Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

30 Something Moms 30 Something Moms

Do you like them ?  Do you go ??

It's the most wonderful time of the year ... when my mother tries to guilt trip me about the annual extended family party ... I'd rather stay home and poke sharp things into my eyes.   Every year my mom's brother throws this "shindig" together at his condo's ball room.  Which includes my mom's 3 brothers  + their kids (9 cousins + spouses & kids) I avoid this like the plague - years ago my mother threw a fit, and I went for an hour or 2 and took off,  havn't been since.  I'm on a 8 year hiatus, don't see why break my beautiful streak now.   And then this year she's like ... talk to your DH about it maybe HE would like to come ... bwahahahaha yeah I think he'd rather sit next to me and chew on broken glass !  He is SO not the type to partake in this !

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM

THANK YOU !  Glad to see I'm not the only one who's like this !!!  I'm not big on family gatherings, they are very hypocritical - I do the immediate family deal to appease my mother. My sister and I have absolutely no contact outside of family dinners, same with my brother in law. My brother in law is of no importance to me, he's there, that's it.  I'm pretty sure he feels the same about me.  My niece and nephew I care about, my daughter adores them.  My parents are good people and I do love them, I just don't care anymore about the insufferable long-ass dinners.   Thankfully it's down to the birthdays and major holidays.  So you think I'll show up for the extended family one ??? 

Quoting lexipooh78:

I used to love going to ours but too many of the family members are getting to old to travel well so we don't really have them anymore. I am an only child so it was great to me to get to run around and play with all of them and as we got older just spend time with them.

When it comes to Christmas and other holiday with just my immediate family I avoid those like the plague. It is hard though because they are always at my Grandma's house with is only 15mins from my house. DH doesn't really like being around family (mine or his) either so now we just send DS out there and we enjoy the quiet time to ourselves.

nodramamama311
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM
My family has never had one :(. My husbands family has one every year and they are horribly boring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Count your lucky stars ...

Quoting nodramamama311:

My family has never had one :(. My husbands family has one every year and they are horribly boring.

virgochild79
by Nia on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

UGH, my family reunions annoy the crap out of me. The ONLY reason I go is for the food and entertainment. We have one every other year and what do ya know,, it's abut that time again...oh joy.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM
DH's mom's side has one every August. I don't mind going because his family is really down to earth.

DH's step dad has one every year too. I hate going and try to avoid it. DH doesn't notice but they make sure everyone knows DH and his family aren't really related. (his step father has been around since DH was 2 or 3 and raised him) It's the rest of the family not DH's step dad. Our children don't even know that's not their bio-grandfather. I don't know why they invite us.

My family reunions are called funerals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaybay218
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't go...don't need the extra drama...somebody always gets drunk and act a fool...some think their family is better than the rest...and i don't give a damn bout none of it...if it's not immediate family...i'm doing great without the rest!

QTMom2302
by Ami on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Our family (my mom's side) just had a huge family reunion almost 3 summers ago.  I went... it was great to see some of my cousins that I hadn't seen in years. Before my grandmother died  (1993) we always got together around Christmas time and had a huge Christmas party w/ everyone. She was like the glue that held us all together. When she passed away that was when everyone just started doing their own thing. The last reunion they had I believe I was a teenager. But it's hard for us all to get together because we're all spread all over the US. 

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM

We go to my side of the family's family reunion.My hubby's dad's side has a family reunion every year.We went once.I was 8 months pregnant with dd.I won't go to another one!

sdmermaid
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

We don't have them.  Maybe it's just me, but hanging out with people I don't really like or know that well, with whom I have not much in common other then some genetic material, does not sound like a great time.  It's hard enough when family members come to visit.  I hate to admit it, but every year I seem to have less and less in common with one of my sisters.  It's to the point now where I just really don't like her that much.  Love her, and tolerate her know everything attitude, because I do love her.  But for sanity's sake, I need to put a limit on how much time I can spend with any one family member.  It seems like we are given certain people in our families to make us "better" people.  Sigh...wish there was just a pill for that.

K8WillBLast
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Both sides of our family are very close!  So, yes we love to get together with family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)